Student Center set for renovations in May

As soon as Fall of 2005, new and current students will be enjoying a brand new extension and renovation of the Student Center. The already popular Student Center will be renovated and expanded into several

As soon as Fall of 2005, new and current students will be enjoying a brand new extension and renovation of the Student Center.

The already popular Student Center will be renovated and expanded into several new areas, according to Dean of Students James Fitzsimmons.

The additions will create 30 new and improved student offices, as opposed to the seven already in the building.

Included in the decision to expand the Student Center was the current influx of enrolling students to Temple University, the growing demand for better amenities for on-campus students and a more comfortable environment for commuters.

“Students want more amenities, so we build residence halls that aren’t traditional dormitories like Johnson-Hardwick,” Fitzsimmons said. “They want suites or apartments, and so all of our new buildings have reflected that. When it comes to student center space, students want better cafeterias, so we have a scatter system cafeteria with name-brand food venues like Burger King and Taco Bell.”

The renovation, which is slated to start in May of this year and will most likely conclude by the Fall 2005 semester, will add several new facilities not currently available in the Student Center.

Along with the new student organization offices and meeting places, some students’ religious needs will also be accommodated.

“We’re going to put in a little ablution room for the Muslim students who, due to their religious practices, need to wash their feet, hands and head; so that’s a nice addition,” Fitzsimmons said.

In addition, the current system of showing movies in the Tuttleman building by DVD will also be upgraded in a new theatre in the Student Center.

“In the lower level, we will have another 400-person alcove and a 150-seat cinema so it will be a film cinema unlike Tuttleman. We’ll be able to get films right out of the theater, so we won’t have to wait to get them,” Fitzsimmons said.

A new game room will include 10 pool tables, four pingpong tables, foosball tables and some electronic games. There will also be additions to help students relax on their breaks between classes.

Students will be welcomed on the first floor with a large lounge area and the addition of a larger TV room. A lounge designed for commuters will feature microwaves, a sink and lockers.

Not only will the Student Center’s new addition boast new recreational additions, but also educational advancements. All median rooms will have “smart classroom” capabilities. Film classes will be able to use the renovated classrooms to take advantage of the installation of new sound and video technology.

The cost of the renovation is estimated at $30 million, which will be funded by the students’ facilities fee at $25 a semester.

“I think this building can be a real crossroads, because of its location on campus and all the different functions it has,” Fitzsimmons said. “It really can be a crossroads for faculty, staff and students to come together.”

Joe Redding can be reached at d01@temple.edu.