Student fatally shot on N. Park Ave.

Temple Police confirmed that the victim was a Temple student.

A 21-year-old student was fatally shot between 11 p.m. last night and 12 a.m. this morning, on Park Avenue near York Street.

Executive Director of Campus Safety Services Charlie Leone confirmed that the victim was a student, and preliminary investigations indicate that “everything is linking itself to a self-inflicted gun wound.” He added, however, that police are still investigating the incident.

Philadelphia police said a 21-year-old woman had been shot in the head on the 2300 block of N. Park Ave. sometime before 1 a.m. Monday. Medics arrived at the scene and pronounced  her dead at the scene at 12:49 a.m.

Police recovered a weapon at the scene, and hadn’t determined a suspect or motive.

Leone said police are talking to the victim’s boyfriend because they believe that the gun might be his. He doesn’t live in the building, Leone added.

Teary White, 33, lives on the third floor of the building where the shooting occurred. She said she heard what she initially thought was a firework before learning that someone had been killed.

“This building is so secure and quiet that you don’t always hear everything that’s going on that clearly,” she said.

She said the shooting occurred on the first floor, and that police cars lined the northern end of her block, and taped off the front end of her building.

White said that she is the only non-Temple student in the building, and that the incident was domestic.

“I honestly haven’t slept,” White said. “Detectives knocked on my door at 2 o’clock this morning and I haven’t slept since then.”

Several neighbors and students were unaware that a shooting has even occurred—including Jack Huntsman, a junior marketing major.

“My roommates and I just saw a lot of commotion,” Huntsman said of the incident. “There were a ton of cop cars on the street and sidewalks in front of our apartment.”

Steve Bohnel can be reached at steve.bohnel@temple.edu or on Twitter @Steve_Bohnel.

2 Comments

1. This story is completely incorrect. The gun was not supplied by the roommate. This is discrediting not only to the university’s name and standards but may be grounds for a law suit because it’s also a form of slander to the roommate who this report has wrongly accused.

• Leone told me he that police "believe" the boyfriend owns the gun. "Believe" is important here. Thanks for reading, but a lot still needs to unfold in this story. I'm doing my best to keep tabs on the investigation. Thanks for keeping me on my toes and keeping me accountable. Sincerely, Steve