Student Groups Help Create Union Proposal

Despite the ongoing conflict between many AlliedBarton security officers and their employers, the officers have begun manning the front desk at off-campus apartments in University Village this summer. Since the fall of 2005, AlliedBarton security

Despite the ongoing conflict between many AlliedBarton security officers and their employers, the officers have begun manning the front desk at off-campus apartments in University Village this summer.

Since the fall of 2005, AlliedBarton security officers have been attempting to create a union to better their wages, benefits and working conditions with the help of student organizations. They are currently in the process of preparing a proposal for President Ann Weaver Hart in hopes that she will support the issue.

According to Larry Rubin, spokesman for AlliedBarton, the company gained control of University Village because the former security company’s contract had just expired for the complex.

Last October, a group of five Allied officers from the University of Pennsylvania, known as the “Philly 5,” were suspended for presenting a petition to strike up a union to Penn president Amy Gutmann.

Lottie Durricks, one of the ‘Philly 5’ members, said that she left the company soon after the event due to her dissatisfaction with her working conditions.

“As far as I know, workers are still trying to unionize,” said Durricks.

The Student Labor Action Project is a student organization that works for any university employee. Mary Beach, a SLAP member and senior political science major, said that they have presented proposals to former President David Adamany.

“[We are waiting] two to three months until they are better prepared to discuss union matters with President Hart.” Beach said.

“SLAP will be campaigning for the Temple security officers to get help for better wages and benefits,” Beach said.

Rubin said Allied has not been informed of any unionization efforts. “We are not aware of any movements or discussions dealing with a union as of right now,” he said.

Megan Kelsey can be reached at mkelsey@temple.edu.