Student organizations at risk of losing yearly allocations

Over 90 student organizations have not reregistered for allocations, Temple Student Government announced at their meeting last Monday. This is nearly half of the number of student groups at Temple. Student Activities Program Coordinator Arnold

Over 90 student organizations have not reregistered for allocations, Temple Student Government announced at their meeting last Monday.

This is nearly half of the number of student groups at Temple.

Student Activities Program Coordinator Arnold Boyd presented the lengthy list to the general assembly.

“Take a nice look,” Boyd said, drawing scattered laughs from the crowd.

In order to apply for allocations, student organizations were required to send a representative to attend one of several mandatory advising workshops held on Sept. 17. Groups that are approved receive $3,000 for the school year.

Internal Operations Chair Lesley Hope used her report to emphasize how much responsibility each TSG representative possesses. Hope specifically stressed the need for representatives to attend all of the mandatory committee meetings.

“I will be working closely with committee chairs to check up on whether you are there or not,” she said. “If you are not meeting requirements, your organization will be struck.”

As a part of the new revisions to TSG’s allocations policy, student organizations that are “struck” will now lose their allocations money for the entire year, instead of a semester.

In his report, TSG President Oscar Chow said that throughout the semester, TSG would invite administrators and student government representatives from La Salle, Drexel, University of Pennsylvania and other universities to attend their meetings.

“They can give us greater insight into what type of things we should do,” Chow said.

Chow also announced that he expects President David Adamany to speak at a TSG meeting in the near future.

Tyson McCloud can be reached at Tyson@temple.edu.