Student radio goes unheard

Temple University’s student-run radio station is seeking funding to expand their broadcast to various buildings and dorms on campus. The station, WHIP, has a very weak transmitter and can only be picked up in the

Temple University’s student-run radio station is seeking funding to expand their broadcast to various buildings and dorms on campus.

The station, WHIP, has a very weak transmitter and can only be picked up in the Student Center, where the station is based.

To expand its broadcasting capabilities, WHIP managers hope to get the dorms and other public buildings wired for broadcasting, as well as placing speakers around the Student Center to play the station.

The cost for this expansion was estimated at $30,000 to $40,000 several years ago, according to Dean of Students James Fitzsimmons.

“It would be our hope for WHIP to become Temple’s main information source, but without the proper funding it may take a while,” said WHIP General Manager J. Marcus Poon.

WHIP is responsible for raising money for the broadcasting expansion through fundraising and events.

Although they have sought the assistance of administration, the mangers said they have had problems getting the proper support in order to move forward with the project.

“I don’t think that administration takes us too seriously,” said Poon.

“But if we had the support of the students and other organizations they would realize that we’re not just here to provide entertainment, but we provide information.”

WHIP, which stands for We Have Infinite Potential, was founded in 1997 and has been saving money for the wiring system since they began broadcasting in 1999.

Along with sponsoring events and parties, they have also received money from advertisers such as The Foot Stop and Universal Pictures.

“I think it’s very strange that the administration is putting us through the wringer for this money,” said WHIP Program Director David Gambacorta.

“For a school that prides itself in communications you would think that they would want to support our efforts.”

WHIP is funded through the Temple Student Government allocations board like any student club or organization, according to Fitzsimmons.

He said TSG gave WHIP approximately $10,000 and that the Office of Student Affairs gave the radio station an additional $35,000 to buy equipment.

“We haven’t done that with any other group,” Fitzsimmons said.

“[WHIP] has been given more money than other groups and organizations.”

In comparison to other schools Gambacorta said that WHIP is not developing as quickly as it could be, because they have the help of two advisors and a large number of students involved.

“It’s a double edge sword because we’re fairly open with inviting people to join WHIP, but at the same time we [already] have plenty of people in the organization but very limited backing,” said Gambacorta.

“It’s a building process and we’re basically learning as we go along. It’s hard because we as students are mainly in charge of everything.”

He said that the station would also like to develop a stronger signal so that WHIP could be broadcast outside of campus, but the main goal is to have most of the buildings wired for broadcast first.

Once the buildings are wired, WHIP will keep students informed of events as well as information such as class cancellations, Gambacorta said.

“WHIP is really doing good things and I think that it would be nice to be able to show the school [and the] administration as well as other schools what we’ve been doing with the station for the last six years,” said Gambacorta.

Jennifer West can be reached at jwest_729@yahoo.com.