Students’ concerns motivate advising assignment

Dr. Ray Coughlin, the Honors Program’s Co-Director, was officially named as the new adviser to health professions students Wednesday, finalizing the role he has filled for the pre-med, pre-dental, and pre-pharmacy students since the beginning

Dr. Ray Coughlin, the Honors Program’s Co-Director, was officially named as the new adviser to health professions students Wednesday, finalizing the role he has filled for the pre-med, pre-dental, and pre-pharmacy students since the beginning of the semester.

Along with Peter Jones, vice provost of undergraduate studies, and other members of the student advising office’s staff, Coughlin has been offering assistance to students for several months as they prepared to apply to graduate programs in the medical, dental, and pharmaceutical fields.

“We had to have a plan for students applying to medical, dental, and pharmacy schools,” said Coughlin.

An e-mail went out on Sept. 27 giving direction to the health profession students: advising would be temporarily divided between Coughlin, Jones, and the office staff.

The following Wednesday they held a meeting for any students with questions or concerns.

Fearing the temporary state of affairs would make advising too difficult for students, Coughlin took the job.

Coughlin has some plans to improve the advisory program. He said he understands that acceptance to medical school is a difficult process and not always obtainable for every student, and he wants to ensure that students are aware of other options and future career paths.

Coughlin started a listserv for pre-med, pre-pharmacy, and pre-dental students two weeks ago.

The list already includes 500 students and is still growing. due to student concerns and Coughlin’s assistance, the medical advising office is back on track.

Coughlin is currently balancing between the Honors Program and his new role.

Temple is working to determine the best way to fill his previous position as Honors Co-Director.

Megan Davies may be reached at mjdavies@temple.edu