Students contribute to disaster relief

“We ran collection bins in every dorm on Main Campus, and one collection bin in the Student Center in front of the information table.” &nbsp&nbsp — Raymond DeStephanis., Temple University Community Service Coordinator Temple University’s

“We ran collection bins in every dorm on Main Campus, and one collection bin in the Student Center in front of the information table.”

&nbsp&nbsp — Raymond DeStephanis., Temple University Community Service Coordinator

Temple University’s Community Service Association, along with several other organizations on campus, recently concluded a four-week relief drive designed to help people in need.

The drive, which ran from Sept. 17 through Oct. 12, was also supported by Temple Student Government, Temple University Greek Association and Residential Organization of Community Service. Residential directors and assistants in the university dormitories also aided the cause.

These organizations collected cash donations and posted flyers promoting the efforts.

“We ran collection bins in every dorm on Main Campus, and one collection bin in the Student Center in front of the information table,” said Temple University Community Service Coordinator Raymond DeStephanis.

Over $1,000 was donated to the Philadelphia branch of the Red Cross at 23rd and Chestnut streets in Center City, DeStephanis said.

New blankets, clothing, boots, cell phone batteries and saline were sent to the New York City chapter of the Red Cross to aid victims of the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks.

In addition, 1,000 pieces of used clothing were donated to St. Vincent de Paul in Northeast Philadelphia, a non-profit organization that collects items for the less fortunate.

“We did it to help out some needy families by giving to the Red Cross,” said Melanie Crumbia, a senior Psychology major who is the president of TUCSA. “After Sept. 11, everyone was just in the spirit of giving.”

Crumbia was not the only person pleasantly surprised by the generosity of Temple students. TUCSA member, Kim Moores, a freshman Biochemistry major, echoed those sentiments.

“I thought it was a good response,” Moores said. “I was surprised at how many students gave their own clothes to people who were less fortunate.”