Students encouraged to run for TSG offices

Temple Student Government is looking for candidates to fill six official positions that will be open for election in April. TSG announced the open positions and offices for next year at Monday’s general assembly meeting.

Elections for the positions will be held April 13 and 14 for Student Body President, Vice President of Academic Affairs, Vice President of Student Affairs, Main Campus representative, Tyler Art School campus representative, Ambler campus representative and Health Sciences campus representative. If elected, all candidates will serve a one-year term in office.

These positions are open to all registered Temple students with a minimum of a 2.0 grade point average regardless of grade level.

According to TSG parliamentarian Tomas Varela, it is important for Temple students to get involved in the matters of their student government.

“A lot of people are oblivious to what goes on at Temple,” Varela said.

Elections Commissioner Denica Beaton encouraged students to run for office to serve Temple’s student body. Students who are interested can pick up a candidacy packet at TSG’s office in room 230 of the Student Center.

Later in April, students will be able to vote from polling stations across campus and online from their computers in resident halls.

In other TSG news, TSG general assembly passed a Clean Energy Bill. This initiative will allow efforts to spread awareness about the environment and make educational efforts to ensure that Temple is an environmentally friendly campus.

Also, Cynthia Desir, chairman of the Community Service committee, announced opportunities for community service, including the need for volunteers to help with College Prep Day, where several area students will come and visit Temple.

Volunteers are also needed to assist with area children attending Temple Men’s home basketball game on March 6.

Charmie Snetter can be reached at snett77@temple.edu.