Students honored at Diamond Awards Ceremony

A jazz trio played as guests and winners filed in to room 200 of the Student Center for the third annual Diamond Awards Ceremony last night, where 25 juniors and seniors were awarded for their

A jazz trio played as guests and winners filed in to room 200 of the Student Center for the third annual Diamond Awards Ceremony last night, where 25 juniors and seniors were awarded for their superior leadership, academic achievement, service to the university and impact on the community.

“Our Diamond Award recipients are willing to take the risks—that is what has set you apart,” Ainsley Carry, dean of students, said to the winners before presenting a portion of the awards.

In previous years, winners were recognized as Diamond Award winners after receiving other awards or distinctions. Theresa A. Powell, vice president for student affairs, said that this year’s selections were more selective than previous years, where 60 and 70 students received the distinction.

“They are simply the best and brightest,” Powell said.

Potential candidates were referred to the Diamond Awards Selection Committee by students and faculty members. 125 names were submitted to the committee, with 95 of those students choosing to apply. The committee then selected the top 25 of the group.

“This is the most accomplished gathering of student talent assembled in one room,” Powell said.

She added that the average grade point average for the winners is a 3.6. Two of the winners will speak at college graduation ceremonies on May 22 and one will speak at the university-wide commencement that day. Powell said that the winners will be attending graduate school at Princeton, Berkeley, Yale, Harvard and Temple.

Four presenters read a short list of each winner’s accomplishments and presented the recipients with a glass diamond award with the words “Simply the best” etched in to the glass.

After the ceremony, a reception was held in the Student Center for winners, faculty, and family. Many presenters and faculty members stayed for the ceremony to personally congratulate the winners.

“Each time a Temple student is recognized, we all share in his or her glory,” Powell said.

2008 Diamond Award recipients:

Candice L. Borrows

Michael D. Campanell

Kendrick B. Davis

Samantha M. Davis

Anthony A. DeFusco

Mawata Dunbar

Rachel J. Ezzell

Karolina Galler

Julie M. Gargotta

Bradley S. Hoffman

Jaclyne E. Hopkins

Erin M. Howley

Brooke L. Huttner

Stephen P. Hyslop

Tamara A. Johns

Timothy W. Magee

Courtney E. Norene

Allison K. Pymer

Pauline M. Romas

Lindsay A. Siegle

Laura Stein

Eric H. Stephenson

Chris B. Stover

Emily N. Tatro

Christopher G. Wink

Alex Irwin can be reached at a.irwin@temple.edu
*Full disclosure: Chris Stover and Chris Wink are members of The Temple News staff.