Students saddle up in the city

Rachael Troxell and Kelsie Jett didn’t want to join just any club their freshman year. They wanted to be a part of an organization that encompassed their love for horses. “I started horseback riding when

Rachael Troxell and Kelsie Jett didn’t want to join just any club their freshman year. They wanted to be a part of an organization that encompassed their love for horses.

“I started horseback riding when I was four at summer camp,” Jett said. “I don’t ever remember being scared when I started.”

Now a senior psychology major and president of Temple’s Equestrian Club, Jett said she is thankful that one of her friends introduced her to the club her freshman year.

“I had been doing it throughout my life, and I just didn’t want to stop when I got to college,” Jett said. “I feel like a lot of horseback riders who come to Temple from the suburbs feel like they have to stop because we’re in the city. Because of this team, they don’t have to do that.”

Troxell, a senior psychology major and the team’s vice president, is responsible for show entries and ordering enough gear for the team members. She said she discovered horseback riding when she was in middle school.

Her dad also rode when he was a child, since her grandparents lived next to an estate with a stable.

“I wanted to continue with horseback riding so I remember Googling ‘Temple Equestrian team’ before I came here,” Troxell said. “I didn’t really find out about it entirely until I went to a Temple festival.”

Jett and Troxell said although many people on Main Campus are not aware of the equestrian team, the club tries to reach students through bake sales and its Facebook page.

“We’re always wearing our equestrian gear – so if someone wants to ask questions they can feel free to,” Troxell said.

“We don’t have try outs, which is an important thing to note,” Jett said. “We kind of take everyone as long as there’s enough car space.”

It’s not necessary to be an expert equestrian to join the team, they said.

“My roommate even decided to try the club and rode a horse for the first time,” Troxell said. “Everyone gets lessons in English and Western no matter what level they’re at.”

English and Western are the two styles of horseback riding the team competes in. Jett described Western as more of a cowboy-type style of riding that one would see during a rodeo. Troxell said the English style is mostly depicted in popular TV shows and the Olympics.

“I like English, because there are a lot of jumps so it gives off more of a thrill,” Troxell said. “But just doing horseback riding, in general, is very calming and relaxing.”

Troxell and Jett both said horseback riding helps release stress during rough school weeks.

“It’s good to have the balance,” Jett said. “Sometimes living in the city gets hectic.”

“Even if I’m just grooming the horse the whole time at my lesson, I am still less stressed by the end of the day,” Troxell said.

The Equestrian Club utilizes Jentri Stables in Furlong to lease horses for their lessons, which take place once a week. Jett said the stable is “beautiful” and provides a lot of property for the team to practice riding.

“We were the first group of freshman to be relocated,” Jett said. “We’re very lucky to have this space because the barn that the team used to use wasn’t as good. There’s a bunch of horses –some small, some big, some lovely and some grumpy – but it’s great overall.”

The Equestrian Club had its first show of the year on Sept. 27. Troxell said that all of the riders walked away with a ribbon and did a fantastic job.

Zelina Williams, a sophomore psychology major and new rider on the team, said she had a great experience and placed sixth in her overall class.

Williams said she hopes to one day pursue a career in therapeutic horseback riding – a profession that involves counseling individuals through the recreational activity.

“When I was transferring out of my last college, I only applied to schools that had equestrian teams,” Williams said. “Temple competes through the Intercollegiate Horse Show Association and competes against eight other colleges that are also in the region.”

Williams, like Jett and Troxell, has also been horseback riding since her parents enrolled her in lessons when she was very young.

“I already loved Temple because I love the academics here and I love Philadelphia,” Williams said. “But to find out that it also had an equestrian team helped me make the decision that I wanted to go here.”

Jett said the team attends horse races, pumpkin picking and even went to Terror Behind the Walls last year as an effort to help members bond.

Williams already feels a close relationship between her teammates.

Your horse is your number one teammate,” Williams said. “But you always have to remember that your team is always behind you no matter what.”at my lesson, I am still less stressed by the end of the day,” Troxell said.

“We were the first group of freshman to be relocated,” Jett said. “We’re very lucky to have this space because the barn that the team used to use wasn’t as good. There’s a bunch of horses—some small, some big, some lovely and some grumpy—but it’s great overall.”

The Equestrian Club had their first show of the year on Sept. 27. Troxell said that all of the riders walked away with a ribbon and did a fantastic job.

Williams hopes to one day pursue a career in therapeutic horseback riding—a profession that involves counseling individuals through the recreational activity.

Jett said the team attends horse-races, pumpkin picking and even went to Terror Behind the Walls last year as an effort to help members bond.Williams already feels a close relationship between her teammates.

“Your horse is your number one teammate,” Williams said. “But you always have to remember that your team is always behind you no matter what.”

Sienna Vance can be reached at sienna.vance@temple.edu