SUMMER IS NEAR; GEAR UP WITH THESE INEXPENSIVE ITEMS

For the college male, who’s in search of a fly, dapper look this summer, but has financial restraints, The Gap, Rocawear, Footlocker, Footaction and Ralph Lauren line offer affordable items to help guide you through

For the college male, who’s in search of a fly, dapper look this summer, but has financial restraints, The Gap, Rocawear, Footlocker, Footaction and Ralph Lauren line offer affordable items to help guide you through the process.

The Gap offers dandy items for the upcoming hot summer months ahead.

Twill worker jeans shorts, originally priced at $34 are reduced to $16.99.

Available in khaki and black pearl, this comfortable item sits low at the waist and contains a cozy, roomy fit. Deep front and back pockets are its unique feature.

“Now that I’m a struggling (financially) college student, I look for items that are comfortable, and the Gap fits my budget,” said Doug Henry, a sophomore MIS major.

You need something to wear with the shorts. Why not purchase the short- sleeved polo sweater? This casual lightweight knit sweater ($19.99) contains an open v-neck and polo collar. It’s 100 percent cotton with many colors abound. Select from light cirrus blue, soft orange and light yellow. You may go crazy attempting to select from the assortment of colors.

Guys who are into plaid shirts ($9.99) won’t be shortchanged. The color choices are multiple. Pick from orange, blue, green and purple plaid, and yellow checks. This easy to wear item features a button front and collar, and has a single chest pocket and button down hem. Fall into the Gap because it won’t be long before these items are snagged up.

Polo offers the light, micromesh athletic tank top ($24.99), ribbed at the neck with armholes, providing a relaxing, sporty look and fit to flex those biceps. In addition, priced at $34.99, the Polo mesh shirt is comfortable and a pre washed item that can be worn by both men and women. An array of colors, such as signal orange, cycle green and wicket yellow are at your fingertips.

If you’re more into the hip-hop/urban wear, Rocawear founder Jay-Z realizes not everyone’s bank account is as large as his. The line offers slick, denim carpenter, nylon jeans ($47.60) available in stitching red and powder blue with the Rocawear nameplate on the bottom.

“I like the baggy look on guys, as opposed to someone who wears tight clothes as if we’re still in the 60’s and 70’s,” said Susanne Madani, a junior majoring in Elementary Education.

Searching for a T-shirt to complement the jeans? Peep the 100 percent cotton dribble tee ($24.50) with the screen print of a basketball in front and a small flame embroidered on the rear of the neck.

But you can’t sport cool clothing without fly footwear. Footlocker and Footaction offer pleasing choices. The Air Terra Humara 2 ($49.99) is a cushioned off-road training shoe. This obsidian, gold, granite and white sneaker is lightweight and water resistant, but be sure to wear the right colors with it or it won’t work.

Senior Criminal Justice major, Kamla Bhalai, said, “A guy’s feet has to be correct. You can tell a lot about a guy’s hygiene by how they keep their footwear.”

At Footaction, the classic Nike Dunk sneaker is back. The white and Carolina patent leather ($69.99) sneaker will suffice with a matching UNC jersey.

“I think they’re hot,” said Forrest Redd, a junior FMA major. “They’re old-school, but still one of the most popular Nike’s in terms of urban footwear.” The classic sneaker is also offered in blue and gray ($59.97).

For you men out there, who are worried your budget can’t give you the opportunity to look good and impress the ladies, don’t worry. They’re still hot items out there at an affordable price. Don’t wait too long, because great prices aren’t around forever.