Sweating out the stress

For some people, midterms have already hit and are over, but for everyone else…they’re COMING! The stress is building up, so instead of overwhelming yourself, put down the books and pick up the weights. You’re

For some people, midterms have already hit and are over, but for everyone else…they’re COMING!

The stress is building up, so instead of overwhelming yourself, put down the books and pick up the weights.

You’re only young once so take advantage of it. Most of us are too lazy to get to the gym or say we don’t have enough time.

A great way to ease pre or post exam stress is to hit the gym. In the process, you can transform your figure from “ok” to “oh yes!”

A place to start is the Independent Blue Cross Center (IBC) located at 15th St. and Cecil B. Moore Ave. The cost to use the IBC is already paid for in our student fees, so there is no excuse not to try it out.

It offers a variety of classes from eight in the morning to seven at night, as well as a few classes on the weekend.

Some classes offered are Yoga, Pilates and Step. For an intense workout, try a sculpting class like Final Cut, Total Tone or Sweat n’ Sculpt.

If you want to feel the burn you can try classes like Kardio Kick, Hi-lo and Millennium Funk. The IBC also offers spinning, circuit training and water aerobics.

“Most of the classes are challenging, and the instructors give us a variety. The only class I could complain about are the yoga classes. They are too basic,” senior Christine Francis said.

If you want to try more intense Yoga and Pilates than the IBC has to offer, check out some places in the city.

Practice Yoga, www.practiceyoga.com, in West Philly offers both Vinyasa and Hatha basic yoga. The prices are $10 per class and $80 for a 10 class card.

The Philadelphia Sports Club (www.nysc.com), which has 3 convenient locations, offers a Pilates-based class. They offer a free one-week trial of their classes.

If you want to try something different, consider taking a dance class.

Studio 1831, (www.studio1831.com) located near the Art Museum, offers belly dancing classes for $10 per class. It’s a fun workout.

You get a chance to dance, learn about another culture and burn some calories that you’re sure to pack on from the opening of the new Wendy’s on campus.

B. boy dance school of Philadelphia (www.bboydancelements.com) offers break dancing classes for beginners and advanced students. It’s a perfect workout for people who want to try something fun and new. The classes are $12 per class or $100 for a 10 class card.

So, next time be sure to think before you start bingeing on ice cream and watching Seinfeld re-runs, because there’s something more constructive to do. Walk to the IBC or take a class that will ease you of any stress that may prevent you from acing an exam.

You’ll love all the fun you’re having with a newfound hobby as well as getting your new J-Lo booty or Tyson Beckford abs.

Amarilus Perez can be reached at aminyc@temple.edu