Sweet suggestions for singles

There are plenty of choices for the unattached on Valentine’s Day.

With Valentine’s Day around the corner, many singles are starting to sulk in the misery of being alone. But there is no reason to dread this day. Valentine’s Day is about love, and although you may not have a significant other, you can still feel loved. A visit to some of these places may help:

Massage Arts Center of Philadelphia
714 Market St., Suite 103
267-321-0200
www.massagearts.com

Treat yourself to a new hair style at Empire Beauty School this Valentine’s Day (Tracy Galloway/TTN).

Empire Beauty School
1522 Chestnut St.
215-568-3980
www.empire.edu

Before you can love anyone, you must first love the person in the mirror. A good way to show how much you care is to treat yourself to some well-deserved pampering. Valentine’s is the perfect day to go to a spa and relax—but spas aren’t cheap. Student massage clinics and beauty schools are great alternatives. The students need clients to practice on, and the services are offered for lower prices.

At the Massage Arts Center of Philadelphia, a relaxing 60-minute massage costs only $35. If you choose, you can get your massage from a more experienced student for a few extra bucks.
Looking for more? Empire Beauty School is a great place to get your hair done – a wash and curl is only $12, and you can get a cut for just $3 more. It also offers manicures for $6 and facials for $18.

Keep in mind that these are students, not professionals, but it could make a wonderful self-gift.

Les & Doreen’s Happy Tap

1301 E. Susquehanna Ave.
215-634-1123
7 a.m. – 2 a.m.

Some of us tend to get depressed and want to stay home on Valentine’s Day. But being single doesn’t mean you can’t have fun. Remind yourself that you’re a pleasure to be around, and do something silly. Gather a few friends, and go out for a fun night of karaoke.

Les & Doreen’s Happy Tap in Fishtown is a great place to get loose and rock out. Beginning at 9:30 p.m. on Saturdays, people gather for drinks and amateur singing. But if you still feel the need to sulk just a little bit, you can also choose to sing your blues away. With thousands of songs to choose from, anyone can tap into the singer within.

One downside of Happy Tap is it’s relatively small. However, it has a great atmosphere and a friendly staff. Best of all, there is no cover charge, and the food and drinks are reasonably priced. By the time you leave this place, you will have forgotten all about your Valentine’s Day blues.

Ted’s Montana Grill
260 S. Broad St.
215-772-1230
Sun – Thurs, 11 a.m. – 10 p.m.
Fri – Sat, 11 a.m. – 11 p.m.
www.tedsmontanagrill.com

Going out to dinner is always a nice treat. However, Valentine’s Day is one of those holidays that fills restaurants endlessly with flocks of couples stuck to each other in blissful romance. This may get you down – but it doesn’t have to.

Invite a platonic friend or a group of your closest buddies to go out for a Valentine’s Day dinner. Ted’s Montana Grill is a great spot since it’s not too romantic, and you’re less likely to run into very many couples. The low-key restaurant has a Western feel to it, and all the seats are in booths, promoting privacy.

The food, made fresh daily, is delicious, and it won’t hurt your wallet. Even though prices are inexpensive, Ted’s Montana Grill offers a “Real Deal,” consisting of an appetizer, an entrée and a large cookie for dessert – all for $16. An added bonus is that Ted’s is eco-friendly, so this Valentine’s Day, Mother Nature can get some loving, too.

Drinker’s Tavern
124 Market St.
215-351-0141
www.drinkers215.com

Walnut Room
1709 Walnut St.
Philadelphia, PA 19103
215-751-0201
www.walnutroomredux.com

Relationships tend to get old and boring, but going to bars and clubs is always fun and guaranteed to be interesting. Use this Valentine’s Day as the perfect opportunity to have a girls’ or boys’ night out, and enjoy being single with no one to tie you down. Ladies, get all dressed up, and head to the bars for some dancing and good times. Fellas, grab your pals, and go ahead and engage in some harmless frivolity.

Best spots for the unattached? AOL City’s Best rated the Drinker’s Tavern and the Walnut Room as some of the best singles’ scenes in all of Philadelphia. Check them out, and you might want to stay single until next Valentine’s Day.

Christeen Vilbrun can be reached at christeen.vilbrun@temple.edu.