Swim club completes fall season

Although Temple does not have a Division I swim team, those students who are aquatically inclined still have the option to swim competitively. The swim club offers a chance for any student that has the

Although Temple does not have a Division I swim team, those students who are aquatically inclined still have the option to swim competitively.

The swim club offers a chance for any student that has the ability to swim to join its intramural team.

“Anyone can join but they must be able to complete practices,” said Jennifer Luneau, senior history major and club president.

The team has approximately 75 active members who practice three nights a week and compete at meets at local and regional schools on the weekends. To be a member of the club, swimmers are required to pay dues, attend practice at least twice a week, and they must be able to swim.

Members can swim in any type of event whether it is relay teams or single races. Luneau said that personally the 200-meter freestyle is her favorite event. She is also attempting to improve at the 100 IM.

Unlike many swim clubs, Temple gets a chance to compete at a national level. One of the highlights of the club’s season was their meet at Syracuse University on Oct. 15. Both the men and women’s team took second place at the meet, respectively.

The club prepares for meets year-round and its season ends with a national meet at Georgia Tech. Only individuals who qualify for this meet can compete in the finals.

Although the club is not currently taking on new members, they will be accepting new members once the Spring semester begins.

Luneau said that the swim club does instruct its club members in any swimming lessons.

“We do not teach lessons we just enhance skills people already have,” Luneau said.

“Instead, the goal of the swim club is to offer guidance on improving its members swimming technique.”

Luneau said she has enjoyed being a part of the intramural club.

“The best part of swim club is definitely the friends I have made so far,” Luneau said. “My best friends are mostly swimmers and we all have a common bond of loving to swim.”
James Reagan can be reached at james.reagan@temple.edu.

1. Hi James Reagan, please receive my welcome,hello and also to thank you for discussing your ideas on this web page. I wound up inside your blog right after researching physical fitness connected issues on Yahoo… guess I lost track of what I had been performing! Anyway I’ll be back once again within the long run to check out your blogposts down the road.