TABJ NETWORKING PARTY BENEFICIAL

There is a lack of minority representation in communication and media fields, learning how to network is one of the best ways to change that. Knowing how to network forms a communication chain that can

There is a lack of minority representation in communication and media fields, learning how to network is one of the best ways to change that.

Knowing how to network forms a communication chain that can provide you with opportunities that you never knew were available. Along with experience and talent, networking can help you get your foot in the door.

On Wednesday, March 28, Temple Association of Black Journalists (TABJ) held its annual networking party in Kiva Auditorium for all communication majors.

“This is the second year doing a networking party. As journalists it’s our biggest priority to know how to network and make contacts,” said Gail Carter, Vice President of Programming for TABJ.

The program “Life After SCAT” opened with a panel discussion moderated by Denise Clay, a 1992 Temple University graduate, who is a staff writer for the Bucks County Courier Times and host of Next Movement, an Internet radio show.

The panel included: Brian K. Bishop (publicity associate at Barrington Consultants, Inc.); Sarah Glover (a photographer at The Philadelphia Inquirer); Charles “Chuck” Guice (founder and CEO of Laser Media); Solomon Jones (a staff writer at Philadelphia Weekly); Tiffany Montgomery (a producer at NFL Films) and Jean D. Richards (executive director of Jean D. Richards and Associates).

The panel offered advice on how students can prepare for the “real world.” They also recounted stories and situations that the students could learn from.

“Be tenacious. Don’t give up. Believe in what you’re doing because if you don’t, no one else will,” commented Solomon Jones on the advice he would pass on to aspiring journalists.

“Don’t be afraid to go outside your bounds,” added Sarah Glover.

All panelists agreed that establishing contacts, networking and asking questions are key elements to being successful in any communication field.

Guice says that developing a reliable and consistent business ethic, which includes arriving on time and doing a good job, is also important to becoming successful and well liked.

After the panel discussion and a question and answer period, students had the opportunity to mingle with the panelists individually. Many exchanged business cards or phone numbers, and each panelist walked away with a handful of resumes.

“I really need to get to know people in the business. I need to learn more about the business and maybe get an internship,” said Brenda Turner, a sophomore journalism major, on why she decided to come to the networking party.