Tabor records six goals, Owls still fall

San Diego State hands Temple its second loss of season.

Even with six goals produced by junior attacker Jaymie Tabor, the Temple Owls could not keep up with the San Diego State Aztecs in a 19-12 defeat on Saturday.

“We forced some opportunities when it could’ve been easier and that made it a difficult day for us,” coach Bonnie Rosen said.

With its loss to San Diego St. (5-2,1-0 MPSF), Temple (5-2) drops it’s second game of the season and it’s second game of a three game California road trip.

“We just weren’t clicking,” Tabor said. “We had multiple turnovers that were crucial and it was more like our individual games were what we had to work on. As a team we did ok, but individually, we made mistakes that we shouldn’t have”.

Tabor’s six goals against the Aztecs matches a career-high. Senior midfielder Stephany Parcell added a couple goals, while senior midfielder Charlotte Swavola, freshman attacker Rachel Schwaab, sophomore attacker Macie Hauck and freshman midfielder Kristie Connor each scored a goal.

Senior goalie Meghan Clothier made the start at goalie, but was pulled in favor of redshirt freshman Jaqi Kakalecik. Part way through the second period, Kakalecik was replaced by sophomore Rachel Hall. The trio of goalies recorded a total of four saves.

“They came at us with a bunch of different kinds of shots and we were having a hard time getting some saves, so we went to our bench,” Rosen said.

For San Diego St., sophomore attacker Michaela Jarvis recorded six goals and four assists, for a game-high ten total points. Sophomore attacker Bailey Ewing and junior attack Maris Walsh each netted a hat trick.

Though the Owls held the advantage in draws and shot attempts, the goalkeeping of senior goalie Sammy Slattery kept Temple from gaining an advantage on the scoreboard. Slattery recorded 16 saves.

“Offensively, we created a lot of shooting opportunities, but didn’t take the greatest shot selection,” Rosen said. “The shot selection wasn’t as sharp as it needed to be.”

After starting the game with a Tabor and Connor goal, Jarvis responded for the Aztecs, scoring back to back goals, knotting the game up at two.

Temple answered the Jarvis goals with two more, but would allow a run of six unanswered goals by the San Diego St.

The Owls would get back on the board due to goals by Hauck, Parcell, and Tabor, but another string of goals by the Aztecs would reclaim their four point lead. Going into halftime, the Aztecs’ 3-0 run would make the score 11-7, in favor of San Diego St.

A Swavola goal, to start the 2nd period, brought the Owls closer, but a 6-2 run by San Diego St. created the large lead that put the game out of reach.

In the second half, Tabor scored four of her six goals, including her own 3-0 run late in the game, but it wasn’t enough to match the Aztecs’ eight goal second period output.

“It was definitely a learning experience,” Parcell said. “We have to get back to practice on Monday and figure out what the problem was today and make sure it never happens again”.

Brien Edwards can be reached at brien.edwards@temple.edu or on twitter @BErick1123.