Tackling the blues, despite world drama

I’m depressed. The nation is in turmoil over the war in Iraq, and now, more than ever, uncertainty is a key word for our country’s future. The war bug has pitted civil rights activists and

I’m depressed.

The nation is in turmoil over the war in Iraq, and now, more than ever, uncertainty is a key word for our country’s future.

The war bug has pitted civil rights activists and anti-war protesters against our nation’s big businesses, government and law enforcement.

Those who are anti-war, pro-Bush, conservative, liberal, rich, or poor, all seem to be working against one another for their respective causes.

And no one seems to be giving an inch of slack.

Iraq has shown unexpected resistance, and casualties are mounting on both sides of the conflict.

Trust is something that appears to be long gone in America with bias in the media, corporate conglomerates, and government agencies working for special interests.

This lack of trust has promoted a nation of cynics.

I’ve even heard people say, “If your mother says she loves you, check into it.”

We’re a nation divided in a world of conflict. It’s a great time to be depressed, worried and angry.

After all, there’s more than due cause.

But, when you think about it, there’s more good than bad in the world.

Believe it or not, the president’s political agenda, the attention-craving boycott on France, or the round-the-clock news coverage of Operation Iraqi Freedom should not run our lives.

We need to free Iraq, but we can’t enslave ourselves in fear and cynicism. Let’s help our fellow man, volunteer our time, and make our country the beacon of freedom it once was.

If you want to learn more about the war on Iraq and educate yourself on current events, head over to Gladfelter 914 on Fridays at 2:30 p.m. for the political science department’s weekly “Teach-In.”

If you want to volunteer your time, Temple Student Government (TSG) meets every Tuesday at the SAC in room 310 at 4:30 p.m.

They sponsor a wealth of volunteer activities.

The Residential Organization for Community Service (ROCS) sponsors a ton of community service events including an AIDS walk, and help with the Special Olympics.

They also participated in the first annual “Read Across America” program that celebrated Dr. Seuss’ birthday and provided elementary school children with free reading material.

For 35 years, the Center for Literacy (CFL) has sponsored basic literacy programs and tutoring for adult learners.

They are the nation’s largest community based nonprofit organization, and are right here in Philadelphia.

If you want to volunteer with them, contact me personally.

Temple is involved in a nationwide donation drive for U.S. military personnel in the Middle East.

Operation USO (United Services Organization) Care Package is underway, and open to anyone willing to help.

These organizations, and tons of others just like them, are all over Temple’s campus, Philadelphia, and the nation.

There’s no excuse to not get involved and touch someone’s life.

But much of the world has taken the victim route, and uses the war in Iraq as an excuse for depression and cynicism.

We stand divided on political issues, religious beliefs and natural resources. We tend to forget that there is a natural resource even more important than oil – ourselves.

I realize that just being an American citizen provides me with more privilege than half the world.

I also realize that I’m alive and literate, and capable of making a difference through volunteering.

And suddenly, I’m not depressed anymore.

Brandon Lausch can be reached at Goskateboarding2000@hotmail.com.