Take out your turkey

Maybe you’ve been booted from the Thanksgiving table because you refuse to share the cranberry sauce. Or you are trying to avoid slaving over preparing hot food all day for ravenous guests. Perhaps you’re just

Maybe you’ve been booted from the Thanksgiving table because you refuse to share the cranberry sauce. Or you are trying to avoid slaving over preparing hot food all day for ravenous guests. Perhaps you’re just looking to spend a nice unconventional Thanksgiving with friends and want to make it as simple as possible. College students look forward to Thanksgiving for home-cooked food and plenty of naps, but not all students plan on going home during the break. If you’re in a bind planning a Thanksgiving meal, don’t cry in your Stouffer’s microwaveable turkey dinner. The city has a bunch of restaurants open on Thanksgiving Day. Take a look at this list of places that offer affordable catering and takeout Thanksgiving dinners.

$ (cheap)
$$ (not too bad)
$$$ (go rob a bank)

Whole Foods $$

Although they are not open on Turkey Day, they offer catering for Thanksgiving dinners until Wednesday. Whole Foods is a good option for vegetarians since they offer a tofurkey dinner in the freezer section, including drumsticks, gravy and dumplings for $24.99. Hours: 8 a.m.-10 p.m.
2001 Pennsylvania Ave., (215)-557-0015, www.wholefoods.com.

Melrose Diner $

Open 24 hours-including Thanksgiving Day. Takeout available. Melrose offers a turkey breast with gravy, mashed potatoes and a choice of two vegetables for $8.50.
1501 Snyder Ave. (215)-467-6644, www.melrose-diner.com.

Jones $$

If you’re really looking for an offbeat Thanksgiving, have your dinner catered by Jones restaurant. With items such as Bourbon Sweet Potato Mash ($7.99 a pint) or Caramelized Brussel Sprouts ($6.99 a pint), you can be sure to put some extra spice into your pumpkin pie. They are closed on Thanksgiving, but they are open from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. on Wednesday.
700 Chestnut St., (215)-238-9600

Boston Market $$$

Open on Thanksgiving Day. Takeout and catering available. There is a Whole Turkey Banquet for $44.95. It’s a bit steep for a college student, but the meal is huge; it includes an 11 pound turkey, extra mashed potatoes, extra gravy, extra stuffing and cornbread. Check out the Web site for several other cheaper meal options: www.bostonmarket.com.
3901 Chestnut St., (215) 222-6900

Silk City Diner $$

Open on Thanksgiving Day until 3 p.m. Takeout available. Turkey dinner is available with soup or salad. Prices range from $6 to $9.
435 Spring Garden St., (215) 592-8838

Ellen Minsavage can be reached at elmin@temple.edu.