Take some time to stop and smell these flowers

Based on the temperamental weather that has plagued Philadelphia for the past several weeks, some Temple students might feel as though spring will never come. Now is supposed to be the time for sun, flowers

Based on the temperamental weather that has plagued Philadelphia for the past several weeks, some Temple students might feel as though spring will never come.

Now is supposed to be the time for sun, flowers and shorts, but instead we have to deal with wind, snow and wool sweaters.

If you’re like me, this bleak weather has got you down.

But have no fear; there is a place close to home that can easily put you in a warm weather mood with just one visit.

Longwood Gardens, located 30 miles outside of Philadelphia in Kennett Square, Pa., is home to 1,050 acres of over 11,000 types of plants and flowers.

One of the many advantages of the gardens are its large outdoor exhibits and 20 indoor
gardens.

For that reason, Longwood Gardens is a great place to visit just about any time of the year.

If you love the outdoors, adore the smell of fresh flowers or just want to get out of the city, Longwood Gardens the place for you.

Whether you decide to bring a date (guys, take this is a subtle hint), a group of friends, or even your family, Longwood Gardens has everything to keep you satisfied for a day trip.

Besides the numerous greenhouses, fountains, and occasional fireworks displays, Longwood Gardens also is home to The Terrace Restaurant.

However, if you want to take it one step further and absorb the full garden experience, there’s a picnic area so you can enjoy your surroundings while you snack.

When planning your trip, be sure to also click the “What’s in Bloom” link (updated weekly on the Gardens’ Web site) so you know just what to expect from your trip.

This weeks’ indoor highlights include spring favorites such as hyacinths, daffodils and African daisies, but be sure to check out the Orchid House.

Outside, look for snapdragons, irises and summer snowflakes.

For those of you out there who have a more academic interest in what Longwood has to offer, the gardens have even more for you than the average visitor.

With over 17 college internships listed on their Web site (including everything from greenhouse production to performing arts), Longwood Gardens definitely deserves a second glance.

Open year round, admission at the Longwood Gardens varies depending on the specific day on which you visit.

If you’re under 21, admission is only $6.

Adult admission is $15.

For all the information you need, you can visit www.longwoodgardens.com.

Next time you’re going a little stir crazy in your dorm, plan a trip and take some time to smell the flowers.

Michelle Nicoletto can be reached at mnic@temple.edu.