Teach time to be on your side

You can’t control time, but you sure can manage it by following these simple steps. Create a schedule. This step is easiest, because your class schedule is already in place – all you have to

You can’t control time, but you sure can manage it by following these simple steps.

Create a schedule. This step is easiest, because your class schedule is already in place – all you have to do is plot your time around it accordingly. More complex classes, like chemistry or calculus, may require a bit more time for homework and studying.

You’ll also need some time to read all those classic novels and plays for intellectual heritage. Your classes’ syllabi can help you plan, too. Note the number of pages that are assigned for each class, then decide how much time you’ll need to read those assignments and take notes. The professor gets paid regardless of whether you pass or fail, so it’s in your best interest to make an effort and do well.

After you’ve scheduled the necessary homework and studying time for your classes, you’re free to schedule in any athletic or extracurricular activities. Even if you’re only interested in spending the bare minimum of time on campus, getting involved in a sport or group activity is a great idea.

It builds your resume and your network of acquaintances and friends. You never know when you may cross paths with these people again; you might find out that they’re incredibly helpful when it comes to studying for a tough test, landing your first job out of college or bailing you out of jail.

Finally, it’s important to always make time for yourself. Set aside some time to get your nails done with the girls or have a poker night with the guys. A responsible time manager knows that personal pampering is just as important as working hard. It’s abusing the privilege that marks the difference between a promising professional and a future bum.

Marta Rusek can be reached at mrusek@temple.edu.