Team posts five first-place finishes at Rutgers meet

Indoor season picks up after winter break.

The women’s track & field team posted five first-place performances at the two-day Rutgers Invitational this weekend, as the men’s squad had two second-place finishes in what was the first meet in more than a month for both teams.

Sophomore Jamila Janneh placed first in the triple jump with a personal-best 12.00 meters, which qualifies for the Eastern College Athletic Conference indoor track & field championships in March. Junior Margo Britton took home titles for her performances in shot put and weight throw, while senior Ambrosia Iwugo placed first in the 500 meter run. Freshman Jimmia McCluskey earned first place in the long jump.

“I was pleased with this weekend’s performance, especially coming off the break,” coach Eric Mobley said. “I thought we got a lot of really good work in and I thought overall that the team was just really competitive. They went out there and competed.”

“There’s a different attitude for the women this year,” Mobley added. “I think everybody is on the same page. Everybody is going out there and working well with each other. We’re looking for big performances from our upperclassmen, but we’re looking for some impact from the freshmen as well.”

The men’s team’s competition in the event comes a month after the university announced the program, along with six others that includes the outdoor track team, will be cut this July. Sophomore Jamal Williams posted second place in the long jump and freshman Thomas Johnson placed second in the triple jump. Freshman Joseph Ho took third, while junior Alex Izewski placed third in the 3000 meter run.

“They’re just going out there,” Mobley said. “[The cuts] are out of their control. They’re controlling what they can take care of. They’re trying to make this the best season that it could possibly be. I think that’s really a good testament to those guys. They’re focusing on every meet, every opportunity that they get and taking advantage of it.”

The indoor season will continue for both the men’s and women’s team in New York at the University of Albany Great Dance Classic on Jan. 17.

Avery Maehrer can be reached at avery.maehrer@temple.edu or on Twitter @AveryMaehrer.