Tech-savvy ID seekers producing ‘real’ fakes

There’s an arms race at Temple, but it isn’t for weapons. Underage students are in a race to grab the latest innovations associated with the production and manufacture of fake IDs. While college students are

There’s an arms race at Temple, but it isn’t for weapons.

Underage students are in a race to grab the latest innovations associated with the production and manufacture of fake IDs. While college students are scrambling to acquire the beloved fake ID, law enforcers are planning ways to stop them. With technological advancements in computer software and printer capabilities, students have the capability to produce what some people say, are “real” fakes.

“The point is, it can be very difficult [to spot a fake ID], especially with Internet,” said Liz Gallucci, supervisor of the Liquor Control Board’s Responsible Alcohol Management Program certification program. “Not as much as ordering from companies, but from downloading bar codes and holograms. They can fake out a machine.”

Fake ID seekers have become increasingly tech-savvy, and that means no more X-ACTO knife and rubber cement. The introduction of PVC thermal ID printers has helped launch the production of “novelty IDs.” These printers promise the most advanced quality, citing “bar codes and magnetic strips, holographic overlays, double photo printing and signature strips.” KIT cards are also used to transfer holograms, lettering and other details of the ID.

“The state ID is very difficult to reproduce. With the holograms, it has a shimmer to it … ,” Dean of Students Ainsley Carry said. “But I’ve never seen a good reproduction of it. Nationally, there are states that are easier to duplicate with paper that is laminated. It’s like making a credit card.”

Carry said it is difficult for the University to know if students are using fake IDs because most places on campus only check for student IDs.

“Beyond the Draught Horse are bars beyond our jurisdiction. … We’ve asked them to check IDs,” Carry said.

Hungry consumers are also using the Internet to find fake identification card templates. Web sites selling fake IDs promise a flawless product that not only swipes correctly, but is complete with UV markings and holograms. The cost of purchasing a fake ID online can hover around $100.

As students find new ways to create and attain fakes, scrupulous law enforcers are finding ways to prevent the use of fakes for underage drinking.

“We can reduce it with education and strict enforcement,” said Temple police Capt. Robert Lowell. “We arrest people. … Our concern is the well-being of students and their friends.”

Since the attacks of Sept. 11, 2001, U.S. policies have greatly strengthened against the production and possession of false identification. Just carrying a fake ID may carry the consequence of a $300 fine, 90 days in jail and a 90-day license suspension. Because the United States has been cracking down, many fake ID seekers are looking at UK-based novelty ID sites.

Bars, clubs and liquor stores are combating the use of ‘fakes’ and stolen IDs with electronic devices and ID checking guides to stay ahead of the technology curve. Instruments such as the Cardvisor ID and E-Seek Scanner work by scanning driver’s licenses, military and state IDs with a magnetic strip and bar codes. These machines can be costly, ranging from $395 to $1325.

But according to Gallucci, nothing replaces the human element that comes along with checking photo IDs by hand.

“Sometimes it takes questions, tricks of the trade,” Gallucci said. “Ask questions beyond just having the IDs. … Ask his zip code or sign.”

Now these venues are starting to play the faking game. Businesses selling alcohol can participate in a Responsible Alcohol Management Program through the Liquor Control Board that will train employees how to spot fake IDs.

“Normally, the fine structure is $1000 to $5000, but if certified [through RAMP], it’s $50 to $500,” Gallucci said. “We have a partnership with Temple. It’s a one day training program where we spent the day with [businesses selling alcohol] going over house policies, fake IDs and real IDs. This is acknowledged in the court room.”

Alysha Brennan can be reached at alysha@temple.edu.