Temple esta muy caliente!

Main campus was filled with the sights, sounds, and smells of a culture rich in tradition as Temple kicked-off its festivities for the 12th annual Latino Heritage Month with a “Carnival of Culture” at the

Main campus was filled with the sights, sounds, and smells of a culture rich in tradition as Temple kicked-off its festivities for the 12th annual Latino Heritage Month with a “Carnival of Culture” at the Bell Tower Wednesday, Sept. 25.

Among the many attractions was the wide array of delectable entrees available for the students to sample.

Vendors provided savory dishes that would make any mouth water.

From traditional Latin fare to more contemporary and experimental cuisine, there was something for everyone.

The pallet pleasing spread included chile reyeno, rice and beans along with many more dishes.

Food was only part of the flavor, though.

With Flamenco dancing, musical performances, and captivating discussion, students were certainly kept busy between classes.

This month-long celebration is not only for Latin American students’ enjoyment.

The events served to educate students and faculty alike, who may not be as familiar with the culture.

The carnival allowed many students to get a glimpse of the deeply rooted traditions and customs that Latin Americans share.

The event brought a sense of pride to some members of the Latino community.

“As a person of Latin heritage, I felt proud watching the performances and seeing others learn about my cultural background,” said junior Roshida Hernandez.

Other students who were there to witness the celebration took away a deeper appreciation for the diversity within the Latino culture.

“It was interesting being exposed to the customs and traditional dances of Latin Americans.

As a dance major, I found the performance very educational,” said sophomore Angie Devers.

Some people came for the food, but stayed to see the dancing and hear the music.

“Once I grabbed something, I figured I might as well stay. I’m glad I did, the dancing was awesome,” said freshman Mike Stewart.

If you missed Wednesday’s events, don’t cry in your Gazpacho, the month of October will be chock full of salsa and spice.

The Latino Heritage Month committee has programs, performances, lectures, and much more planned through the Oct. 26.

Milli Protheroe can be reached at Bobhope@temple.edu