Temple falls to SMU

The Owls lost their first conference game of the season Friday 3-0 to Southern Methodist in Dallas, Texas.

Temple suffered its first defeat in the American Athletic Conference Friday, losing to Southern Methodist 3-0 in Dallas, Texas.

Temple (13-4, 4-1 American Athletic Conference) struggled offensively, managing to earn 28 kills compared to Southern Methodist’s 44. Temple also totaled a season-low 16 hitting percentage.

“They executed on both sides,” Ganesharatnam said about Southern Methodist. “They had aggressive attackers and played really good defense.”

In the Owls’ 13-25 opening round set defeat, Temple had game-low eight kills and eight errors. Southern Methodist capitalized on its defense, finishing the night with 11 blocks.

After Temple struggled in the opening set, Ganesharatnam tried to rally his team.

“I think brought up the energy and that helped,” Ganesharatnam said. “We also adjusted better which made it a tighter set.”

In the second set, the Owls kept Southern Methodist from pulling away. As senior setter Sandra Sydlik set the ball, junior outside hitter Tyler Davis spiked the ball over the net to tie the set at 23.

After Southern Methodist retook the lead 24-23, Ganesharatnam called a timeout.

Although Ganesharatnam made one last effort to rally his team, the Owls lost the second set 25-23.

In the third set, Southern Methodist pulled ahead early and maintained the lead throughout, winning the final set 25-17.

“Its our first conference lost and that’s it, we have to move on. It’s just one loss. ” Ganesharatnam said. “We have a great opportunity to bounce back.”

Connor Northrup can be reached at connor.northrup@temple.edu