TEMPLE FOOTBALL SIGNS 30 RECRUITS

Temple football marked national signing day by bringing in 30 recruits to help improve a squad that went 4-7 in 2000 on Wednesday. Temple addressed its instability at offensive line by signing seven linemen. Three

Temple football marked national signing day by bringing in 30 recruits to help improve a squad that went 4-7 in 2000 on Wednesday.

Temple addressed its instability at offensive line by signing seven linemen. Three of these linemen played together at Nassau Community College in New York.

Anthony Bolden (6-5, 295), Anthony Nembhard (6-5, 300), and Scott Norris (6-6, 295) will all get a chance to compete and all have good shots starting jobs on Temple’s offensive line.

“It is very unusual to watch a junior college film and see an offensive line that looks like they can play in the Big East,” head coach Bobby Wallace said at a press conference on Wednesday. “We kinda sold them on the fact of coming and playing together and I think they’re excited about it and we’re obviously excited about having them.”

Another big recruit is quarterback Mike McGann. At St. Joe’s Prep in Philadelphia, he finished his senior season with 1,715 yards of passing and ranked as one of the top 50 players in the state.

“We think Mike’s potentially an outstanding college prospect,” Wallace said. “We’ll go into spring training dealing with the kids in the program at this time. We will evaluate him at that point; is he really ready to get into the mix with the guys that we have or will it be better to bring him along slowly and redshirt him or whatever. ”

The Owls also sured up the linebacker position which lost second-team Big East player LeVar Talley to graduation. Temple brings in seven linebackers including Anthony DeGannes, a hot prospect out of Hilliside, N.J.

Five tight ends will add depth to that position along with four defensive linemen, two wide receivers, one quarterback, one fullback and a punter.

Jamel Harris, a 6-1, 190-lb. receiver out of Red Bank Regional High School in Shrewsburg, N.J., is a surprise addition, according to Wallace. He’s top-ranked receiver coming out of New Jersey.

Harris was highly recruited until he tore his anterior cruciate ligament while running track last May. Temple was among a select few schools who stuck with Harris and he rewarded the program with his signing.

Even with a 4-7 record, Temple did improve this past season. Improvement across the board was felt if not seen. Wallace announced the signings at Edberg-Olson Hall, Temple’s new practice facility, which opened before last season. The facility was a drawing point for some recruits.

Temple starts its season on Sep. 1, 2001 against Navy.