Temple grads can be rock stars too

Philly native and ’92 Temple University grad, turned freelance writer and indie rocker Richard Turgeon recently released his first full-length novel, “Thank You, I’m a Rock Star.” Turgeon’s book is, to say the least, an

Philly native and ’92 Temple University grad, turned freelance writer and indie rocker Richard Turgeon recently released his first full-length novel, “Thank You, I’m a Rock Star.”

Turgeon’s book is, to say the least, an interesting read.

It chronicles the relationship between a band named The Movies (Turgeon’s band in the non-fictional world) and a “corporate religion” known as AutoGod.

AutoGod’s mission is simply “to become the most popular religion in the world – and, in turn, the wealthiest.”

AutoGod founder, Matt Baker, believes the most efficient way to do this is to combine religion and rock music, as both have the ability to control the 13-to-25-year-old demographic.

“Thank You, I’m a Rock Star” is witty, fascinating and, perhaps best of all, different.

The book itself has the ability to reach and intrigue the same demographic that AutoGod targets, with the occasional shrill dialogue and plethora of pop-culture references, but most of all with its original concept.

Unfortunately, it is the dialogue and pop-culture references that bog down the work and make it a cumbersome read.

Furthermore, the book’s cast of characters is so heavy that it is often hard to keep track of them all.

None of the characters, save perhaps Billy Farragut – a depressed, confused pizza-shop employee – is complex enough to enjoy. Their dialogue is uninteresting at best and seems to be there merely because such a novel requires dialogue.

If you have a spare moment, however, between studying for finals and catching up on much-needed sleep, Turgeon’s book is worth a glance.

Fortunately, the concept behind the book pushes through the muddy dialogue and characterization, the result being an interesting read that elicits thought and careful consideration of the corporate America in which we live.

Those interested in the book can visit Turgeon’s Web site at www.autogod.org.

The site offers viewers a chance to read the first chapter of the book, and even order CDs by The Movies.

One has to laugh, however, as the CD publicity stunt is a throw-back to the link between capitalism, rock and religion, that makes up “Thank You, I’m a Rock Star.”