Temple helps with housing alternatives

The annual scramble to gain on-campus housing has recently left about 500 eligible students without a place on campus to live next year, but there are still several options available to these students. To start,

The annual scramble to gain on-campus housing has recently left about 500 eligible students without a place on campus to live next year, but there are still several options available to these students.

To start, eligible students need to sign up for the housing waiting list on May 1. Having a spot on the list will not guarantee a bed on-campus next year, but chances are greater for those who register. The list is accessible until May 15.

“The list functions on a first come, first serve basis, and priority will be given to eligible students who have lived on campus this past year,” said Harry Knabe, the assistant director of assignments and billing. “After those students are taken care of, the next group considered are current on-campus residents, who have been disqualified from the housing lottery for whatever reason. The final group considered is off-campus students looking for on-campus beds.”

There has also been a recent trend in summer cancellations. Anywhere between 400 and 500 students may relinquish their rooms over the summer, usually because of financial problems. It is through these cancellations that students on the waiting list will receive beds.

Students who do not get on the waiting list have other choices for housing. There will be a housing fair held from 11:30 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. on Friday, April 26 in the atrium of the Student Center. This will be the second of two housing fairs designed to give rising sophomores, juniors and seniors a chance to meet realtors, landlords and property managers from around the area and to discuss available facilities.

“The first housing fair held on April 12 was well attended, and it was geared specifically to rising sophomores,” said Knabe. “We expect this one to be pretty crowded as well.”

Costs are a major factor in the decision to live off campus. According to the University’s off-campus housing listing, prices can range anywhere from $240 per month for small apartments to $3000 for large houses (these are usually shared by five or six people). Some of the facilities have utilities already included in the rent. Others have weekly rent. It all depends on the location, the quality of the facility, and the individual property manager.

The Kardon Building, at 10th and Montgomery, will offer additional housing. Philadelphia Management Corporation is renovating the building into 187 apartments.

If none of this helps, Temple annually leases approximately 500 beds from the Presidential City Apartment complex and rents them out to students. It is located on City Line Avenue, just outside of the city. The commute to Temple takes about 20 minutes.

“Presidential City is a popular option, if the space is needed,” said Dean of Students James Fitzsimmons. “The expected enrollment for next year looks encouraging, so we will probably be holding about 500 beds there.”

Temple may exercise the right to lease additional apartment space from Presidential City. In previous years, the University gave back housing that it couldn’t fill.

There are several sources for information related to off-campus housing. The Off-Campus Housing/Summer Conference office is located on the third floor of 1910 Liacouras Walk. In addition to the information packets one can obtain from these offices, there is also an informational Web site that contains off campus housing listings at www.temple.edu/housing.

Additional reporting for this article was done by Brian Swope
Eric Raible can be reached at eraible@temple.edu