Temple honors two legends

In what was a laughter and hug-filled ceremony, two Temple legends etched their places amongst the school’s great. Saturday afternoon at Mitten Hall, Dr. Ray Moyer and former men’s basketball coach John Chaney were inducted

In what was a laughter and hug-filled ceremony, two Temple legends etched their places amongst the school’s great.

Saturday afternoon at Mitten Hall, Dr. Ray Moyer and former men’s basketball coach John Chaney were inducted into the Temple Athletics Hall of Fame in a ceremony that honored the duo’s services to the Temple community.

Chaney led the Owls to 516 wins, 17 NCAA Tournaments and five Elite Eight appearances in his 24 seasons as coach. But for Chaney, the thing he got most out of his time with the Owls was being around his players, and that was evident by the humorous stories he told about former players like Mark Macon, Aaron McKie and Eddie Jones.

“I think if you were to visit the booth upstairs, you’ll see what I’m most proud of. Eddie Jones, who flew in, and Mark Macon and all my great players that could get here,” Chaney said. “Aaron McKie couldn’t get here because he’s part of the assistant coaches for the 76ers tonight. That’s where the testimony happens to be.”

Before the start of the event, Chaney gave hugs to several of his former players and danced with Moyer’s wife, Page, to a song played by members of the jazz band.

Chaney was introduced by Bill Bradshaw, director of athletics, and a video was shown where Duke coach Mike Krzyzewski, former Georgetown coach John Thompson, Rutgers women’s basketball coach C. Vivian Stringer and former players McKie and Macon thanked and congratulated the legendary coach on his achievement.

“Him being there as a father figure meant so much to me,” McKie said, echoing the words of Chaney from a week ago.

Gov. Ed Rendell sits between former men’s basketball coach John Chaney and trainer Dr. Ray Moyer, who were inducted into the Temple Hall of Fame last Saturday at Mitten Hall (Kriston Bethel/TTN).

Moyer was introduced to the crowd by colleague Jim “Doc” Rogers. After accepting his plaque, Moyer spoke to the crowd and thanked his parents, children and his wife, who has assisted him at Temple games.

“I truly believe she is Hall of Fame worthy,” he said.

Moyer also had a video shown in his honor. Current trainer Dwight Stansbury, former Temple President Peter Liacouras, former Owl and NFL player Lance Johnstone and former football coach and current Pittsburgh Steelers offensive coordinator Bruce Arians all praised him.

Moyer has been the team physician for Temple student-athletes and director of Temple’s Sports Medicine Center since 1978. He is a former baseball player and was named to the NAIA All-American team before being drafted by the Chicago Cubs in 1963. In addition to his work at Temple, he also assisted the Flyers and 76ers from 1988 to 1990.

Radio personality and Temple alumnus Joe Conklin opened the ceremony with entertaining impersonations of stars who failed to make the trip to North Philadelphia for the event. The impersonations included Harry Kalas, Charles Barkley, Allen Iverson and former President George W. Bush. He also reminded those in attendance that it has been 15 years since Chaney threatened to kill then-Massachusetts coach and current Memphis coach John Calipari.

Gov. Ed Rendell also made an appearance and told a story of a triple overtime game against Mount St. Mary’s in which a seldom-used “farm boy from Chester County” was fouled with no time remaining and made two free throws to win a game. Rendell also declared that Jan. 24 was Dr. Ray Moyer and Coach John Chaney Day in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania.

At halftime of the Owls’ 80-53 victory over Charlotte, Chaney received a large ovation from the home crowd. He thanked the supporters and had a message for the students.

“Dr. Moyer and I are two people that have spent all of our lives serving young people, serving this university,” he said. “I believe in my heart, ‘You enter to learn. You depart to serve.’”

He closed with a line from President Barack Obama, whom Chaney didn’t hesitate to praise.

“It’s not about us,” he said. “It’s about you.”

Joe Serpico can be reached at gserpico@temple.edu.