TEMPLE IN BRIEF

Lecture on Autism Spectrum Disorder Temple’s College of Allied Health Professions is hosting a lecture by Dr. Helen Tager-Flusberg, a renowned researcher in the field of autism spectrum disorders. Dr. Tager-Flusberg will present her findings

Lecture on Autism Spectrum Disorder

Temple’s College of Allied Health Professions is hosting a lecture by Dr. Helen Tager-Flusberg, a renowned researcher in the field of autism spectrum disorders. Dr. Tager-Flusberg will present her findings on language development and social functioning in individuals with this disorder. The lecture will be held in Kiva Auditorium at 6:30 p.m., April 26. It is open t the public and free of charge. For more information contact Dr. Jenny Roberts at 1-1871.

Nurses in Shortage

There is a current shortage of qualified Certified Registered Nurse Anesthetists in the Delaware Valley. A special employee referral program had been created, enabling current employees of Temple University to receive a $5,000 referral bonus for identifying candidates who are hired. For details visit www.temple.edu/news/nurseanesthetists.html.

Researching juvenile justice

In a project involving Temple, the University of Pittsburgh and Arizona State University, some 1,200 teenagers between 14 and 17 who have committed felonies will be interviewed to study the consequences of sentencing minors to prison.
Two Temple professors, Larry Steinberg and Laura H. Carnell who are a part of the project hope to find a way to judge a child’s ability to stand trial as an adult.
The project is expected cost about $2 million for each of the three years it is run. Funding is coming from the U.S. Justice Department, and grants from MacArthur and the William T. Grant Foundation, among others.