TEMPLE IN BRIEF

Temple Community Invited to Meet with Provost Candidates University faculty and students can meet with the two candidates for the position of University Provost. One candidate will be at the University on Tuesday, May 1,

Temple Community Invited to Meet with Provost Candidates
University faculty and students can meet with the two candidates for the position of University Provost. One candidate will be at the University on Tuesday, May 1, and the second on Thursday, May 3. A schedule of times and locations for candidate meeting sessions can be found at www.temple.edu/news/Provostcandidates.html.

Campus Provides Passports by Appointment Only
Effective Tuesday, May 1, the Office of International Services will serve as an U.S. passport agency and a satellite office of the Philadelphia Passport Agency. Appointments for passport applicants can be made by calling (215) 204-7708. The Office of International Services is on the web at: www.temple.edu/ois/passport.html.

Survey of Temple Students
Temple’s Teaching Academy just completed a satisfaction survey of more than 850 undergraduates. Sophomores and juniors were asked open-ended questions in attempt to determine what faculty is doing right and wrong. Ultimately, the Teaching Academy hopes to create learning centers for professors and instructors that are staffed by teaching professionals. Such centers could conduct regular surveys and teaching enhancement classes.

Smoking rates high amongst Asian-Americans
While the amount of people lighting up has dropped dramatically in the last 20 years, there are still populations where smokers are prevalent. How to help one of those groups, Asian-Americans, will be the topic of an all-day conference titled, “Assessing Tobacco Use in the Asian-American Communities of the Greater Philadelphia Region.” Studies show that between 35 and 75 percent of Asian American men are smokers,” says Temple University Health Studies Professor Grace Ma. “This is not just an issue for the men but for the whole Asian community because the women and children are also being exposed to dangerous levels of second-hand smoke.” To Reach Dr. Ma or for a conference schedule, call the Office of News and Media Relations.

Corrections
In last weeks’ news briefs on page 2, there was an incorrect phone number listed to ask questions concerning the Creative Services Workshop. The correct number is 215-204-1904