Temple in Brief

Temple University votes to recognize TUGSA bargaining representative The Executive Committee of the Temple University Board of Trustees voted to recognize TUGSA as the union to represent the University’s research and graduate assistants on Wednesday,

Temple University votes to recognize TUGSA bargaining representative
The Executive Committee of the Temple University Board of Trustees voted to recognize TUGSA as the union to represent the University’s research and graduate assistants on Wednesday, Sept. 26. The decision came after five months of discussions that remained outside of academic matters &$#151;a decision the University insisted upon before any discussions took place. TUGSA is an affiliate of the American Federation of Teachers.

Temple Ambler infant lab begins new study
A new study scheduled to begin soon at Temple Ambler’s infant lab will focus on learning in autistic children. Children ages 3-7 will be utilized to determine the best tools to help autistic children learn new words. Officials from the lab said the goal is to better diagnose problems and strengthen both social and learning skills.

Office of Community Service sponsors food and clothing drive
Until Oct.12 the Office of Community Service will be accepting donations to help the fire and rescue workers in New York. OCS is asking students to donate socks, underwear, Gatorade, cell phone batteries, saline, blankets, towels, gloves, aspirin, work boots and bottled water. Cash donations are also being accepted. Please make checks payable to TU Relief Fund. Interested students should stop by the Student Center for more information.

New Food at the Student Center Food Court
Temple Dining Services is holding “What’s Cooking?” an event that will feature samples of the Food Court’s new offerings. Chinese food, sushi, tacos and brick oven pizza are some of the new choices students can now choose from. Entertainment will be provided from a Temple jazz trio. The event will be held on Thursday, Oct. 4 from 3-5 p.m.

Temple Ambler to hold blood drive
The American Red Cross will be at Temple Ambler on Tuesday, Oct. 9 from 9 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. in the Bright Hall Lounge. Response is expected to be high and students are asked to call first to make an appointment. For more information, or to make an appointment call the Ambler Office of Student Life at (215) 283-1424. To find out about more blood drives in the area, please call the American Red Cross at 1-800-GIVE-LIFE.

New Director appointed at Ambler
Rhonda Geyer has been appointed Director of Non-Credit Programs at Temple’s Ambler campus. Before receiving the position, Geyer was the director of marketing services for the Temple University Canter for Advanced Technology since 1999. More than 500 non-credit courses are offered at both Temple Ambler and Temple Fort Washington during the fall, spring and summer semesters.