TEMPLE IN BRIEF

NEEDY CHILDREN RECEIVE MEDICAL INSURANCE Temple University’s Children’s Medical Center has helped nearly 1,000 children in the North Philadelphia area through Project Access. Started in 1998, Project Access is an outreach program at the Children’s

NEEDY CHILDREN RECEIVE MEDICAL INSURANCE

Temple University’s Children’s Medical Center has helped nearly 1,000 children in the North Philadelphia area through Project Access.

Started in 1998, Project Access is an outreach program at the Children’s Medical Center, which helps clients apply for medical insurance. The program offers bilingual support and offers house calls as a way to better spread their services.
The program has received support from Washington. On Jan. 17, Sen. Rick Santorum (R-Pa) gave a check for $453,000.
Part of that money will be used towards creating a permanent headquarters for the project, while the rest goes toward expanding the program.

According to President Adamany, “60% of families in the immediate area surrounding Temple Children’s is at poverty level.”

SPRING POETS & WRITERS SERIES STARTS THIS THURSDAY

The program sponsored by the Graduate Creative Writing Program and Temple Gallery begins this Thursday with poet and literary critic, Susan Howe.

Howe will be at the Temple Gallery, 45 N. Second St., at 8 p.m. on Feb. 1 for a free public reading. She has written two books, My Emily Dickinson andThe Birth-mark: Unsettling the Wilderness in American Literary History, both literary criticism. How also teaches English at the State University of New York at Buffalo.

New and acclaimed writers are the backbone of the series, which is partially funded by the Pennsylvania Council on the Arts.

Upcoming dates are:
Feb. 22 with Alice Notley, a Pulitzer Prize winning author who will also be available during the Creative Writing Program from
Feb. 19-23.

March 1:Michael Martone, a fiction and non-fiction writer.

March 22: Mark Nowak, poet and author of Revenants.

April 5: Toby Olson, author, poet and retiree of the Creative Writing department.

UNIVERSITY APPOINTS VETERINARIAN

Milton April, D.V.M. was recently named University Veterinarian, according to Corrinne A. Caldwell, acting provost.

The job requires April to direct Temple’s Laboratory Animal Resources program as well as oversee all laboratory animals at the Health Sciences Center and Main Campus. April’s goal for his positions consists of improving the Laboratory Animal Resources, ensuring compliancy and productivity and bettering Temple’s image.

April, who received his medical degree from the University of Georgia, started his career in the Army before changing to public health.

His work in public health helped lead to the vaccine for Hepatitis B.

Corrections

In last week’s News story by Mickey Minnick “New groups march on Washington” thousands of pro-life supporters marched in Washington D.C. at the March for Life 2001, not hundreds.

John Vettesse took the photo of Progress Plaza for last week’s cover story.