Temple in brief

Temple University Ambler and Community 2000 will co-sponsor an Earth Day symposium to discuss the problems associated with traffic congestion in the suburbs. The April 22 symposium, titled “Suburban Traffic Congestion: Old Problems and New

Temple University Ambler and Community 2000 will co-sponsor an Earth Day symposium to discuss the problems associated with traffic congestion in the suburbs.

The April 22 symposium, titled “Suburban Traffic Congestion: Old Problems and New Ideas,” will be held from 7:15 to 9:30 p.m. in Bright Hall Lounge on the Ambler campus.

The conference will offer insights from several different speakers from various organizations.

Donald Shanis, deputy director of the Transportation Division of the Delaware Valley Planning Commission, will discuss the use of information technology to ease traffic burdens.

Peggy Dawson-Schmidt, executive director of the Partnership Transportation Management Association of Montgomery County, will discuss “The e-Commuting Initiative.”

Beth Pilling, Senior Open Space Planner for the Montgomery County Planning Commission, will discuss community walking and biking trails in Montgomery County.

For more information, call Richard Schwarz at 610-272-8116 or the Center for Sustainable Communities at Ambler at 215-283-1540.

Conference to discuss suburb problems

Temple University Ambler will tackle the problems that many older suburban communities currently face with a day-long conference on April 30 at the Philadelphia Marriott West Hotel.

The conference, running from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., will discuss the problems associated with families and businesses leaving these aging communities.

The Delaware Valley Regional Planning Commission (DVRPC) will co-host the conference, titled “Building From Strength: Strategies for Older Suburbs and Boroughs.”

For more information, call Barry Seymour at the DVRPC at 215-238-2831 or the Center for Sustainable Communities at Temple University Ambler at 215-283-1540.

Temple in Brief is compiled from University press releases.