Temple in Brief

Walter Annenberg, the man whose name graces the building that houses Temple University’s communications program, died Tuesday, Oct. 1, of complications from pneumonia. The publishing giant was as much known for his philanthropy as he

Walter Annenberg, the man whose name graces the building that houses Temple University’s communications program, died Tuesday, Oct. 1, of complications from pneumonia.

The publishing giant was as much known for his philanthropy as he was for his many publications, which included TV Guide and Seventeen.

He also, at one time, owned the Philadelphia Inquirer and Daily News.

He died in his Wynnewood estate with his wife, Leonore, by his side.

He was 94.

Annenberg was said to have given away at least $2 billion in his lifetime, with much of it going to educational endeavors through his Annenberg Foundation.

His passion for education led him to donate money to Temple in 1948 in support of a school of radio and again in 1958 when he gave the University of Pennsylvania $3 million to create the Annenberg School of Communications.

His days as a publisher ended in 1988 when he sold TV Guide, Seventeen and the Daily Racing Form to Australian media king Rupert Murdoch for $3 billion.

Annenberg was also named ambassador to Great Britain in 1969 by President Richard Nixon, a post he held until 1974 when President Gerald Ford replaced him.

He is survived by two sisters, seven grandchildren and six great-grandchildren.