Temple News chats with Ryan Reynolds

Temple News was able to track down Van Wilder himself, Ryan Reynolds, for a brief interview about his views on movies, music, and smutty double ant André. Temple News: Were you into the National Lampoon

Temple News was able to track down Van Wilder himself, Ryan Reynolds, for a brief interview about his views on movies, music, and smutty double ant André.

Temple News: Were you into the National Lampoon movies before your part in Van Wilder?
Ryan Reynolds: Hugely, hugely.

TN: Do you have a favorite one?
RR: I think I would have to say my favorites are the Vacation movies. I love Vacation, and I love Christmas Vacation. I can take or leave European Vacation. And, Vegas Vacation, well, you know, it blows.

TN: Was Vegas Vacation even a National Lampoon Movie?
RR: I don’t think so. National Lampoon actually stopped doing movies for a while, so Van Wilder is their triumphant return.

TN: How would you feel if kids started calling their penises “Van Wilders”?
RR: If kids called their unit the “Van Wilder”? Wow, I don’t know. I think lots of people associate Van Wilder with an itchy burning sensation. I don’t know if they would actually call it that, but if they do, I wouldn’t want to hear about it. Twig and Berries is nice. The lil’ Van Wilder, I guess that’s not that bad.

TN: How do you feel about the comparisons to Chevy Chase?
RR: Yeah, that’s really come out in the last couple weeks. He is definitely an influence of mine, but this is the first time I’ve ever really been compared to him. I think he pops into your mind because it’s a National Lampoon movie. But, hey, I definitely watched that guy enough growing up, so that there are things that he’s done that will always be with me.

TN: Do you think any of your personality comes across in Van Wilder?
RR: Yeah, definitely. There isn’t a scene in the movie that doesn’t have an adlib in it. Every day, we would work 14-hour days, and then go back to a bar and talk about what we could do. We knew the script like the back of our hands, so we would just unwind and figure out what we wanted to do the next day.

TN: If you ever fall off the deep end and have your “wild young actor” phase, what crime would you like to be arrested for?
RR: I would have to say public nudity.

TN: Do you have a favorite B-52’s song?
RR: I always get them confused with Deee-Lite. Why do I always get them confused?

TN: They both had big haircuts.
RR: Yeah, the haircuts. There’s a Deee-Lite song I heard once. I like that. I don’t have a favorite B-52’s song. I wish I did though.

Robert James Algeo