TEMPLE POLICE AND UNIVERSITY NEGOTIATE CONTRACT

Temple Police and the university have spent nearly a week trying to negotiated a contract that will work for either sides, but the previous contract expired Wednesday, February 28 at midnight with no end in

Temple Police and the university have spent nearly a week trying to negotiated a contract that will work for either sides, but the previous contract expired Wednesday, February 28 at midnight with no end in sight.

Neither side can talk about the issues surrounding the problems during negotiations, but a flyer obtained by the Temple News lists Temple police near the bottom of the pay scale in both starting salary and senior pay rates.

Among the colleges and universities listed on the flyer is Temple President Adamany’s former school, Wayne State University. Wayne State paid about $8,000 more for starting salary and $16,000 more for senior pay.

Even with the recent troubles during negotiations, Harriet Goodheart, of the university’s News Bureau says the school is “optimistic we will reach a settlement.” No one in the university’s Human Relations department was authorized to discuss details, including who was debating for either side.

Temple Police are part of the Security Police Fire Professionals of America union, which represents about 135 officers on campus. Negotiations started last Thursday at the Holiday Inn on 4th and Arch streets.

Negotiations are expected to resume even with a majority of campus shutting down and students leaving for Spring break.