Temple-related mumps cases reach 67

The number of cases have risen since the outbreak was announced last month.

There are 67 Temple-related mumps cases as of Tuesday.

Among those cases, 12 are confirmed and 55 are probable, wrote Jim Garrow, the communications director of the Philadelphia Department of Public Health, in an email on Tuesday.

Sixty-four cases involve people who live in Philadelphia and 3 involve people who live in surrounding counties.

The university has not had any conversations about closing campus, a university spokesperson told The Temple News on Monday.

Mumps is a highly contagious viral disease that can be transmitted via the nose, mouth and throat. Symptoms include swelling of the face and jaw, fever and body pains. The incubation period is 12 to 25 days, and symptoms typically appear 16 to 18 days after exposure.

WHAT TO DO IF YOU HAVE
SYMPTOMS
According to a university release, there’s no treatment for mumps. But you can relieve symptoms with tactics including:
Taking medication like Tylenol or
Motrin
Rest
Drinking fluids
PEOPLE AT GREATEST RISK OF
INFECTION AND TRANSMISSION
People who are pregnant
People with illnesses that weaken their immune systems, like AIDS or any form of cancer
Health care personnel
International travelers
People who did not receive two doses of the MMR vaccine as a child
WHERE YOU CAN GET A THIRD SHOT
Student Health Services
Pharmacies like Walgreens, CVS and Rite Aid
Most primary care physicians and urgent care clinics have the vaccine in stock, according to a university release sent on March 4.

Someone with mumps is considered contagious two days before their face swells, through five days after, according to a university release. It’s recommended that people with mumps isolate themselves so they’re less likely to infect other people.

Students experiencing symptoms should contact Student and Employee Health Services.