TEMPLE RUGBY TAKES ALL KINDS

Temple’s rugby teams offer athletes a great opportunity to get involved with a college sports team. Both the men’s and women’s team are always looking for enthusiastic students who are interested in playing rugby. The

Temple’s rugby teams offer athletes a great opportunity to get involved with a college sports team. Both the men’s and women’s team are always looking for enthusiastic students who are interested in playing rugby.

The teams both practice three times a week in addition to two games on Saturdays. Many players start their first season with little idea about what rugby even is. Temple’s programs are populated by those who were high school athletes, and who were looking for a new sport to get involved in.

Both the men’s and women’s team have a lot of rookies this season. In fact, five first-year players are starting for the women’s team.

“Our rookies have really helped to improve the quality of our team,” veteran player Cindy Young said. “They are the kind of girls who go out and play hard every week, they are really excited about rugby.”

The women’s team is excited to have 35 players, enough for both an “A” and a “B” team. The women’s team has about 12 returning players from last year.

“There is a great deal of leadership from the veterans,” Young said. “They really help the rookies to improve their game.”

The women’s team has two games remaining, against the University of Pennsylvania and Shippensburg University. The game against Shippensburg will be played at home on Nov. 11 at noon. The women’s rugby team’s home games are played at a field at 33rd and Diamond Streets.

Both Shippensburg and Penn have Division One rugby teams, while Temple’s is in Division Two. The team is eagerly anticipating these competitive events.

“We are going to kick Penn’s butt,” Young said.

The women’s team has a record of 2-3 so far this season. They defeated both Drexel University and Franklin and Marshall College. The Owls dropped two very close games early, and have built some momentum through the middle of the season as the newcomers have gained a firmer grasp on the game.

“If we played those teams again we would definitely win,” Temple’s Angela Marfis said. “The team has really come together and made a lot of progress since the beginning of the season. We surprised a lot of teams. As the season went on we improved a lot.

“I think the season has gone well. Next spring we will dominate.”

So far this season the men’s team has a record of 4-2. Wins against the College of New Jersey, Swarthmore, Penn State Del-Co, and York have helped the men’s team make the playoffs. The men’s team will play Penn State-Abington in its last game of the regular season.

The men’s team is encouraged about the program’s success.

“We had an excellent season considering that we didn’t have a team last year at this time,” Temple rugby player Dave Cribb said.

Part of what makes the men’s team successful is their coach, Ed Hinken.

The women’s team has been very busy fundraising for a trip to a rugby tournament in New Orleans. The team will go for a long weekend and get in a lot of rugby games.

The spring season, which is the club season, begins sometime in February.

Both teams are hoping to get a lot of new players involved for the spring semester. Recruiting new players is a key element in ensuring the continued success of the Temple rugby programs.