Temple, Sharps, ready for Bowling Green

After watching Toledo’s tough defense handle Temple’s offense two weeks ago, fans may begin to wonder what they will do to turn things around Saturday against Bowling Green. The big questions swirl around a Temple

After watching Toledo’s tough defense handle Temple’s offense two weeks ago, fans may begin to wonder what they will do to turn things around Saturday against Bowling Green.

The big questions swirl around a Temple player who only played in one game this season. Running back Tarnardo Sharps, after sitting out of the Navy game with a groin injury, was unimpressive against Toledo with only seven-yards rushing on 12 carries.

“I feel good about coming back,” Sharps said. “I got the first game under my belt, I should be at full speed for the next.”

Sharps rushed for over 1,000 yards last season. It was the first time a Temple player rushed for over 1,000 yards since Todd McNair in 1987.

Does Sharps feel any pressure to get another 1,000-yard season?

“I don’t feel any pressure,” Sharps said. “I believe if it is meant to be it will come. I have to do my part, work hard, as well as my teammates. If it comes, that is good, but as long as we win, that is better.”

The offense will have a new look Saturday with freshman quarterback Mike McGann leading the way.

Lost in the poor offensive performance against Toledo was the emergence of speedster receiver Sean Dillard as a big time playmaker. Dillard caught five passes for 113 yards. Greg Muckerson on the other side should help ease McGann into his first collegiate start.

But the key of the game, and probably the season, will be getting Sharps started and opening the offense for McGann.

“We need to be consistent in our offense, and throwing the ball deep, and that will soften up the defense for Tarnardo,” Temple Coach Bobby Wallace said of his offense.

Temple has a bye week next week and then the Big East schedule starts on Oct. 5 at Boston College. The offense should get some push in the right direction as big time rusher Sharps will have another game under his belt.

NOTES:

Suman suspended from team
Linebacker Taylor Suman was suspended indefinitely from the football team this week.

Suman, the Big East’s top returning tackler from last year, was placed on the Butkus Award watch list this off-season. The award is given annually to the nation’s top linebacker.

According to Coach Bobby Wallace, Suman broke team and athletic department rules. Wallace wouldn’t say exactly what Suman did or how long he would be suspended.

UConn game re-scheduled
Temple’s game against UConn, which was scheduled for last Saturday but postponed because of the terrorist attacks, has been rescheduled for Nov. 24.

The time and location of the game have yet to be determined. The game will be held in Philadelphia but it’s not yet determined if it will be played at Franklin Field or Veterans’ Stadium.