Temple Student Government unveils changes, goals during first meeting

Representatives addressed an increased allocations budget and a revised allocations process, at the first Temple Student Government meeting of the semester. After being unable to properly fund all of its eligible student groups last year,

Representatives addressed an increased allocations budget and a revised allocations process, at the first Temple Student Government meeting of the semester.
After being unable to properly fund all of its eligible student groups last year, TSG applied for and received a larger allocations budget. The 2005-2006 allocations budget is set at $170,000, a $58,000 increase from the previous year.
This year’s budget was primarily funded through the General Activities Fund instead of the Office of Student Affairs. As a result, all TSG-funded programs must now be advertised and open to every student.
New TSG President Oscar Chow said that the larger allocations budget was necessary to keep up with the growing number of student organizations on campus.
“We advocated over the summer to receive more money during meetings with various administrators,” Chow said. “We’re trying to get every organization as much money as possible.”
During his speech, Chow also expressed his concern on how TSG “represents over 36,000 students” but does not have the right to vote during the Board of Trustees meetings.
“It is a personal problem for me,” he said, stating that creating a proposal for student representation would be a year-long objective.
The meeting, held in the Student Center last Monday, also provided new and returning TSG members an opportunity to review the goals and guidelines for the school year
Chow also emphasized the need for more student involvement in TSG.
“We want representation from freshman, sophomore and junior classes. We want representation from housing and from academic schools,” Chow said. “We want to make the student body stronger and more informed on campus.”
In order to receive funding, all student groups were required to send a representative to one of several advising workshops. All applications for funding must be received by Wednesday, Sept. 28.

Tyson McCloud can be reached at Tyson@temple.edu.