Temple: The school that never closes.

Last Thursday, winter came early as eight inches of snow blanketed the city. The wintry mix brought subfreezing temperatures and piles of white stuff that forced many businesses to shut down. SEPTA reported delays of

Last Thursday, winter came early as eight inches of snow blanketed the city.

The wintry mix brought subfreezing temperatures and piles of white stuff that forced many businesses to shut down.

SEPTA reported delays of up to an hour, while slick roads and related accidents slowed traffic to a crawl.

And with temperatures hovering in the low 30s, almost every school, college, and university closed — except for Temple.

According to Temple’s 2001 Factbook, for fall 2001, 74 percent of all undergraduates lived off campus and commuteed to school.

Yet, except for evening classes, Temple held classes as scheduled.

That means that while most of Philadelphia was snuggled in bed, Temple students were in class, listening to professors drone on about finals.

While many were at home enjoying the food they hoarded from the supermarket, Temple students were hovering at lunch trucks, blowing on their hands to prevent frostbite.

While other kids were at home playing in the snow, Temple students were sliding to and from school in their cars, or standing at frigid bus stops praying for SEPTA.

Temple students are committed to academic excellence. And when a winter storm shuts down the city, the university’s powers-that-be should show their commitment to the students and declare a snow day.

The Temple News editorial board members are:

* Jeremy Smith, Editor in Chief
* Mike Gainer, Managing Editor
* Brian White, News Editor
* Kia Gregory, Opinion Editor

Letters to the editor can be submitted via our Web site @ www.temple-news.com under the “submissions” link. They can also be dropped off at the Temple News office located in the Student Center, Room 315.