Temple Tips

Well this week’s topic was originally going to be about excuses students use on their professors, but I changed my mind. See, if you really think about it, the only reason students make up excuses

Well this week’s topic was originally going to be about excuses students use on their professors, but I changed my mind. See, if you really think about it, the only reason students make up excuses is due to a well-known technique all college students practice: procrastination.

This single word is the cause of all stress in college. Students who do not procrastinate may find college to be extremely easy. But do non-procrastinating students even exist? Probably not. Like napping, this skill of planned waiting is definitely a fine art. It takes time to master. Being a senior, I’ve come to the conclusion: If I have learned anything at all here at Temple, it is how to wait until the last minute.

Waiting to do work makes a person do some crazy things. On a normal day, I wouldn’t usually clean my entire house, do four loads of laundry, give my dog a bath or wipe down each and every one of my CDs. But, give me a paper to do and I’ll have all of these annoying tasks done in no time at all. Anything is better than getting started on a paper or studying for an exam. So to make sure Temple students never run out of time wasting activities, here are some ideas to keep you from your work.

Call everyone in your phonebook — Talk to long-lost friends. Call people you don’t even like talking to. Just waste time. This task might seem unrealistic on a regular night, but when there is a paper at hand, anything is possible. I think procrastination yields super powers. I could talk on the phone for hours while procrastinating, even if my ears start to feel numb.

Color — Yes, color. Pick up some crayons and get to it. It may seem childish, but would you rather be writing a paper? I recommend color by number; it requires no thought.

Clean out your wallet or purse — Do you know the cool things you can find? It’s like a gold mine, but not really. Old credit cards you haven’t used in a while, phone numbers (call ’em right now), I even found four pens once. FOUR! Amazing.

Organize your key rings — Thanks to my last procrastination episode, I can get into my car with ease. I now have a separate ring for everything. My car on one ring, my house on another and my keys to the Spelling bee-er’s club office right next to them. No more jingling around with this newfound organization.

Color-code your closet — This is great: it takes up a lot of time, and it is totally worth the work. Pick out an outfit in no time. Running late to turn in your paper, this color-coding will spare some precious minutes.

There are so many activities to participate in while procrastinating. Join a club or a team, or stick to cleaning, just don’t do the work. Procrastinators unite! You usually get a better grade anyway.

Julie Crist can be reached at copshoo98@yahoo.com