Temple Tips

I believe the lighted sign says 12. Not 13. 12. Why do people in grocery stores try to sneak too many items into the “12 items or less” line? The bag containing four apples is

I believe the lighted sign says 12. Not 13. 12. Why do people in grocery stores try to sneak too many items into the “12 items or less” line?

The bag containing four apples is not one item IT IS FOUR! Although there are six cans of soda attached by plastic rings, this does not mean it is item number 12, and only 12; the cans are items 12,13, 14 … 17 — six over the limit.

Then there are the people who feel guilty after they enter the checkout line. They pull their carts up into the line and begin to count. Not once, but numerous times, they count their groceries to make sure that they meet the supermarket quota. This single action is a tip-off that they have too many items. The counting is like blushing before a lie or lifting an eyebrow before laying down a bum hand in poker. This counting is a signal as large as the Batman signal in the sky, telling other customers that they have 13 or more items.

Even before entering the grocery terminal, a person should know that they have less than 12 items. If you have to count as you stand in line, please waste someone else’s time. PLEASE stand with the rest of the grocery population in the other lines that are available.

One older woman, with her cart packed as tight as cotton in an aspirin bottle, nearly ran me off the aisle to get into the express line. Only after she stopped the cart form wheeling, did she realize she was over the allotment of groceries. After she counted and reached a number more than her age, she started to feel bad about her choice in supermarket passageways. But why leave the lane? Instead, just let the masses of waiting Express lane customers from behind go in front.

This woman let at least six people go in front of her because she knew that she violated the grocery legislation. She wasted five minutes that I did not have to waste. I had to maneuver myself around her cart in order to get in front of her massive, overflowing piece of welded metal.

People that have carts should not even be allowed to enter the Express lane. Is it necessary to push around a cart for 12 or less items? I wonder if any of these cart-pushing grocery gurus have ever heard of the basket? The basket was invented strictly for the Express lane. If you can not fit the groceries into that basket space, do not even try entering the express lane.

There is still a rising problem with non-basket-using law obstructing shoppers and something needs to be done. The line is designated Express, but there is no grocery store employee overseeing the actions of customers. There should be an employee stationed at the beginning of every Express lane to protect the abiding customers. Something like an entrance exam, a cover charge, an airport metal detector, anything to prevent cheating customers from holding up the rest of the line.

I am sure that the Express lane is held up more than the First Union bank in Center City Philadelphia. Until grocery workers start paying attention to customers with an illegal increase of items, customers like myself, will have to continue to wait in the dreaded Pathmark line.