Temple track teams to compete in Penn Relays

This coming weekend marks a great event for track and field in Philadelphia, The Penn Relay Carnival. The Carnival is held in the historic Franklin Field at the University of Pennsylvania this Thursday, Friday and

This coming weekend marks a great event for track and field in Philadelphia, The Penn Relay Carnival. The Carnival is held in the historic Franklin Field at the University of Pennsylvania this Thursday, Friday and Saturday. It includes some of the world’s best runners and a great showcase of local talent.

Temple’s track team will participate at the Relays all three days. On Thursday, the lady’s day, Temple’s women’s team will run the 4×400-meter relay with Samantha Porter, Edith Lewis, Ruby Amanze and Farren Benson. The women are also entered to run the 4×100-meter relay on Thursday although they are still deciding whether or not to run it. Three of the four girls on the relay team are questionable.

On Friday, at 1:20 p.m. the women are set to run the 4×200-meter relay. Samantha Porter, Aderonke Adeniyi, Edith Lewis and Jessica Dungston are scheduled to hand off the baton for the event. At 1:40 p.m. the men’s 4×200-meter relay goes off, with Otis Hudson, Jonathon Albright, Dale Letterlough and Bryant Adams running the relay for Temple.

At around 2:45 p.m., the women’s team will take part in the Shuttle Hurdle relay. It is the first time in 15 years that Temple will take part in this event.

Also on Friday, the men’s team will run the 4×100-meter and the 4×400-meter relays. Last week the men ran their fastest time of the season in the 4×400-meter relay, with a time of three minutes and 14 seconds — an automatic Intercollegiate Association of Amateur Athletes of America qualifier.

“They should be able to win their heat,” Temple coach George Phillips said.

The last relay to be run by Temple is the women’s Sprint Medley Relay on Friday.

“If we run well [Thursday and Friday], we’ll run on Saturday,” Phillips said. “We’re hoping for the best.”

Saudia R. Mitchell can be reached at Smitch02@temple.edu