Temple Tweets

As we learned by watching Paris Hilton’s My New BFF and Bret Michael’s Rock of Love, people do not always do things for the “right” reasons. Unfortunately, as Twitter becomes embedded further into mainstream technology,

As we learned by watching Paris Hilton’s My New BFF and Bret Michael’s Rock of Love, people do not always do things for the “right” reasons. Unfortunately, as Twitter becomes embedded further into mainstream technology, it is faced with a sea of wrongdoers. I usually encourage people to use their 140 characters to express their inner thoughts and concerns; however, I am seeing some tweeters abusing their right to tweet.Picture 9

I am sexually harassed literally every day, and I know I am not alone. By the time I get in bed with my MacBook, I want to relax — not see disgusting tweets about females as various body parts rather than a person. I’ve never seen a woman tweet about a man having to roll on a regular Trojan instead of a Magnum, but apparently, some men think it is OK to disrespect women with every outlet they have.

@nogrrlsallowed: Oh watch out – random temple girl is FLAUNTING her goods and since they’re B-cups, the goods are just kinda ok
I sincerely hope no woman would ever let @nogrrlsallowed near her “goods.” Perhaps this tweeter is dealing with masculinity issues and decides to put woman down to make up for his particular body parts that are lackluster. It’s no mystery why so many women are insecure about their images.

@BBS420: RT @BBS420 #onthelow Most of the Girls and Temple University #owemesex Yea I said it. /// 12 hours later and It’s still the #truth
First, if you had to retweet yourself on this topic, I’ll assume no one wants to have sex with you, @BBS420. Second, creating a hash tag to tell the Twitterverse your tweet is on the low does not actually mean it is on the low. More people will now see you’ve said this because your tweet is now on your profile and under that hash tag. Nothing is on the low on Twitter — this isn’t a private LiveJournal. And third, I am confused by the “owe me sex” part. You can owe someone a couple bucks — you do not owe someone sex. I understand not every Temple student must take economics, but I thought it was common knowledge sex does not equal a form of currency. When you practically tweet that women are whores, it is no surprise no one responded to your booty call.

@CDiddyRnThaCity: WTF goin on up Temple? I just rolled up on a milli-on white grandmas n 13 y.o. girls
Are grandmas and young women not allowed on Main Campus? I do not understand @CDiddyRnThaCity’s beef here. Unless you are at some sort of frat party, there really shouldn’t be any upset caused by some women outside your age group. Racism and age discrimination in one tweet? This is a sad day for Twitter.

Twitter always keeps it classy, but I cannot say the same for all the world’s tweeters. The porn bots wouldn’t even go as far as some tweeters in their disrespect.

Samantha Krotzer can be reached at samantha.krotzer@temple.edu.