Temple’s mumps outbreak rises to 130 cases

Ten of the cases are outside of Philadelphia, the city’s Department of Public Health reported.

Temple's mumps outbreak grew to 130 confirmed and probable cases on Thursday. | DYLAN LONG / THE TEMPLE NEWS

The number of mumps cases related to Temple University’s outbreak rose to 130 cases on Thursday, the Philadelphia Department of Public Health reported.

There are still 18 confirmed cases, which hasn’t changed over the course of the week, and 112 probable cases, wrote Jim Garrow, the director of communications for the Philadelphia Department of Public Health, in an email to The Temple News.

Ten total cases are in counties surrounding Philadelphia, and 120 are in the city. The outbreak, which began at the end of February, is expected to continue through the end of the semester.

What to know about mumps
Mumps is a highly contagious viral disease that can be transmitted via the nose, mouth and throat. Symptoms include swelling of the face and jaw, fever and body pains. The incubation period is 12 to 25 days, and symptoms typically appear 16 to 18 days after exposure.

Someone with mumps is considered contagious two days before their face swells, through five days after, according to a university release. It’s recommended that people with mumps isolate themselves so they’re less likely to infect other people.

There are 19 reported mumps cases in the university’s residential halls, Mark Denys, the director of Temple’s Student and Employee Health Services, told The Temple News last week. Denys could not be immediately reached on Thursday for an update on these cases.

The university and Department of Public Health administered more than 4,800 measles, mumps, rubella vaccines last week during two free vaccination clinics for students, faculty and staff in Mitten Hall. Employee and Student Health Services has additional vaccines available for free for anyone who missed the clinics, Garrow wrote in an email to The Temple News last week.

Anyone who suspects they have the mumps is encouraged to contact Employee and Student Health Services, and isolate themselves for at least five days to prevent spreading the infectious disease.

WHAT TO DO IF YOU HAVE
SYMPTOMS
According to a university release, there’s no treatment for mumps. But you can relieve symptoms with tactics including:
Taking medication like Tylenol or
Motrin
Rest
Drinking fluids
PEOPLE AT GREATEST RISK OF
INFECTION AND TRANSMISSION
People who are pregnant
People with illnesses that weaken their immune systems, like AIDS or any form of cancer
Health care personnel
International travelers
People who did not receive two doses of the MMR vaccine as a child
WHERE YOU CAN GET A THIRD SHOT
Student Health Services
Pharmacies like Walgreens, CVS and Rite Aid
Most primary care physicians and urgent care clinics have the vaccine in stock, according to a university release sent on March 4.