TEMPLE’S TOP 10 MOMENTOUS EVENTS: FALL 2000

With the fall semester ending and the New Year fast approaching, here are some intriguing and interesting moments to reflect on… 1) Morning Madness: Everybody loves NCAA Men’s Basketball so much that many students camped

With the fall semester ending and the New Year fast approaching, here are some intriguing and interesting moments to reflect on…

1) Morning Madness: Everybody loves NCAA Men’s Basketball so much that many students camped out in freezing temperatures for a good seat to the Duke game on Dec. 2 and the infamous “Wild Cherry” season tickets.

2) The Bomb Scare: When Gladfelter Hall is closed for a day, students are concerned. When it was because somebody placed cardboard “bombs” in the engineering building, students, news crews and the FBI alike flocked to the scene.

3) The First Day of School: The first day of school is always a big deal, but it’s an even bigger deal when some 5,200 new faces pop onto campus for the first time.

4) Temple News Protests: A Temple student along with four African American organizations on campus accused the Temple News of racism for not publishing an article on racial profiling. A Jewish group on campus claimed that Temple News was anti-Semitic because they ran a Holocaust revisionist ad. Temple thrives on controversy.

5) The Shooting and Stabbing: Sad but true. These things happen. ‘Nuff’ said.

6) The Football Team’s 4-7 Record: Temple Football got off to its best start (3-1) in a really long time. Although we didn’t make it to a bowl game this year, it could be the beginning of an era of great football at Temple.

7) Philadelphia Cares Day: Some 50 Temple students reached out and helped paint murals at Dunbar Elementary School, behind the SAC, to make it a little nicer. Temple students really care.

8) SAC Renovations: Or shall we say DESTRUCTION? “It’s really inconvenient!” said sophomore JPRA major Carrie Tolerico.

9) TU Has A New President: For the first time in 18 years, Temple University has a new president- Dr. David Adamany. We picked our president faster than Florida did.

10) Homecoming/Fall Fest 2000: Temple Owls went wild! School sponsored events everyday of the week added a boost to Owl school spirit.