Tennis pair does well at Eastern Championships

The women’s tennis team’s top two players, sophomores Danira Penic and Lara Ercegovic, advanced to the championship round at the Omni Hotels Eastern Region Women’s Tennis Championships in doubles play last weekend. After defeating teams

The women’s tennis team’s top two players, sophomores Danira Penic and Lara Ercegovic, advanced to the championship round at the Omni Hotels Eastern Region Women’s Tennis Championships in doubles play last weekend.

After defeating teams from Long Island University, St. Bonaventure, Penn State, Virginia Tech, and William and Mary, the duo from Split, Croatia, was beaten by Old Dominion University, with a score of 5-8 in their final match.

In singles play, Penic, Temple’s first singles player, reached the quarterfinal round with seven other players.

Penic defeated Daniela Kaluskova of Syracuse (6-1, 6-3), Jessica Arther of William and Mary (6-1, 6-0), and Lara Van Rooyen of Old Dominion (6-2, 6-4). Penic lost to Alice Pirsu of Pennsylvania (4-6, 1-6).

Temple’s second singles woman, Ercegovic, advanced to a field of 16 players before loosing to Jessica Johnson of Marshall (6-1, 1-6, 4-6). The singles field began with 90 players.

Penic is 8-3 in singles play and 9-2 in doubles play this season. She finished first in the Flight A bracket of the Dartmouth Invitational.

Eregovic is 9-3 in singles and 11-3 in doubles. She had a first place finish in the Flight A bracket of the Brown Invitational.