The changing face of Temple University

Over past years there has been a movement toward revitalization. Many of the city’s suburbs are choosing to preserve existing land and buildings rather than turn the property over to developers. Temple is also taking

Over past years there has been a movement toward revitalization. Many of the city’s suburbs are choosing to preserve existing land and buildings rather than turn the property over to developers. Temple is also taking part in this.

Last week, upperclassmen returned to see a much different campus than the one they had left in the spring. Temple underwent a major face-lift over the summer; one that included bringing in new businesses to Liacouras Walk and a total overhaul of the Student Activity Center, now known as the Student Center.

Across from Curtis Hall stands a new building, Tuttleman Learning Center, which was once a parking lot. Tuttleman contains 128,000 square feet of classrooms and computer labs.

Future Main Campus projects include putting an estimated $5 million into the renovation of Tomlinson Theatre and constructing a new building to expand the business school.

The renovations do not stop on Main Campus. Millions of dollars have been put into revitalizing Temple’s satellite campuses.

Temple Center City (TUCC) moved from 1616 Walnut to a larger facility at 1515 Market Street. The new facility includes 53 classrooms, eight computer labs, student lounges and seminar rooms. All the TUCC classes will be held at the new Market Street location, except for a few non-credit classes and a photography class.

Temple underwent a major face-lift over the summer; one that included bringing in new businesses to Liacouras Walk and a total overhaul of the Student Activity Center, now known as the Student Center.

The Ambler Campus has plans to replace the existing greenhouse with one covering 4,500 square feet.

The Health and Science Campus plans on renovating its laboratories to facilitate the expansion of the HIV-1 and other pathogen research units. The expansion is expected to increase the department’s ability to perform more in-depth research on infectious diseases.

With the construction of the Student Center spanning over the entire 2000-2001 academic year, students found themselves without a place to eat or study. That problem has been solved with a 700-person seating facility in the new building and an abundance of large chairs and sofas. There is also a room on the third floor for “quiet study.”

Burger King has also returned to the Student Center, along with other choices, such as a California pizza kitchen serving individual pizzas and calzones. The new food court also offers ethnic cuisine, as well as a deli, salad bar and convenience store selling sodas, ice cream bars and candy.

Where the Campus Grill once stood on Liacouras Walk, stands a new line of stores that will be brought in gradually over the semester. Already open are a PNC Bank branch, Conwell Inn, a dry cleaner and a cellular phone store. A Philly Steak & Gyro, as well as a Master Wok are scheduled to open in late September. Dunkin’ Donuts, Baskin Robbins, 7-11 and Pizza Hut are slated to open Oct. 10. By the end of October, a Mailboxes, etc. will also be available.

In the past three years, Temple has seen a number of new buildings erected. In 1998 White Hall, then known as New Residence Hall, was opened on Broad Street with the capacity of housing over 400 students. Last year, Cooney Apartments were torn down and its residents moved to begin construction on what is now the dorm at 1300 Cecil B. Moore Ave.