The great Wednesday escape

As fall commences, homework and stress begin to weave its way into everyday life. While many people wait until the weekend to find adventure and escape from boredom, there are those who seek excitement right

As fall commences, homework and stress begin to weave its way into everyday life.

While many people wait until the weekend to find adventure and escape from boredom, there are those who seek excitement right in the middle of the week.

Those people are comic book readers.

That’s right, comic books.

Every Wednesday, comic publishers ship out an endless variety of stories: everything from super hero adventures, romantic comedy and even a little nonfiction from time to time.

There are a ton of highly anticipated releases in the coming months, so, if you’re looking for some reading that is a bit more interesting that your biology text book, here are some titles you might want to check out:

Quimby the Mouse by Chris Ware (Fantagraphics, $14.95): As Ware’s follow up to his multi-award winning Jimmy Corrigan, The Smartest Boy on Earth, this book is one of the most anticipated releases.

Don’t let the cute name fool you.

Quimby is not a typically cute-as-a-button cartoon mouse.

Through the pages, Quimby deals with loneliness, alienation, a snowstorm and an infatuation with Pocahontas.

Ware remains unrivaled in his sense of humor, beautiful line and mind-boggling design work.

Berlin by Jason Lutes (Drawn and Quarterly, $3.50 per issue): Lutes’ epic historical fiction work tells the moving tales of everyday life in inter-war Berlin.

There are riots, fistfights and murders weaved into posh parties and the ageless tale of love.

Lutes’ storytelling technique draws the reader into an era of unbridled life and revolution.

JLA and Avengers by Kurt Busiek and George PĂ©rez (Marvel Comics, $5.95 per issue): Don’t worry!

Even with artful tales of angst-filled rats and war-torn Europe, there is plenty of room for super heroes, and this book has just about as many as can fit between a front and back cover.

Which super hero team is the greatest in the universe?

Is it the Justice League, led by the likes of Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman, or is it the Avengers, who count Iron Man, Thor and Captain America among their ranks?

Nearly 20 years in the making, this is sure to be a battle royale unlike any other.

These are just three of the numerous titles that hit stands every week.

While many book stores have started to maintain a growing selection of comics in stock, Philadelphia is home to a number of specialty shops that help deliver comics into the hands of their keepers.

Two of the best are Fat Jack’s Comic Crypt, located at the corner of 20th and Sansom streets and Showcase Comics at the intersection of 4th and South streets.

If this fall means expanding your literary horizons, enjoying some of the most cutting-edge storytelling being produced today or just chilling out with some action-packed adventure, then stop by your friendly neighborhood comic store.

It’s not just for kids anymore.

Robert James Algeo can be reached at rjalgeo@temple.edu.